Thread: Commander #155 'Mephisto Cat'

Threaded View

powder coated aluminum frames

Rico,
    Maybe I'm the guy?
    I had all aluminum frames powdercoated in a 'bronze color' - including the little ones

Used 'lab metal' to fill most of the damage: rage holes drilled in crooked from outside, corrosion, broken screws, old fastening holes and so forth.
    You'll remember these unique frames are all the same except the minature screws made the windows "handed" because the fastening, the clamping of each pair, was done from inside with tiny machine screws.

I drilled each dedicated pair of frames thru and chamfered the holes outside. However I decided against using the set because I didn't feel that this method of installing a floating lens was ultimately strong enough. Big loose lens, fragile aluminum frames. Not for ocean voyaging or the MORC.
    Also, after the powder coating was done I realized I had not put in enough fastenings (9), nor positioned them very well around the frame. Did like the fact the holes were slightly oversized so that the powder coating became the insulation for the stainless machine bolts. And was unwilling to drill in any more holes. After deciding to go with slab-on carbonate lenses, these nice and professionally coated (Miller Powder Coating, Santa Rosa) frames are consigned to limbo.

The cute little aluminum opening ports came out really nice and are small enough imco to use on an offshore boat. Famous last words.
    Last edited by ebb; 08-11-2011 at 01:20 PM.