+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3-Bridge Fiasco anyone?

3-Bridge Fiasco anyone?

Anyone coming?

The race is happening on January 31st. It is one of the most popular in the San Francisco Bay, (close to 300 boats participated last year and 320+ are already signed-up with a week to go...)

It is sponsored by San Francisco's Singlehandled sailing society. (I am entered in the double handed category...)

You can find out more about it at:

http://sailmagazine.com/ThreeBridgeFiasco/

Or at the San Francisco Single handling society... (SSS) website.

An exerpt:

What a FIASCO !
    By Kimball Livingston

There's no explaining the Three Bridge Fiasco to people who expect things to make sense. We're talking about a race sailed in the dead of winter, when you can't count on breeze on San Francisco Bay, but you can expect the currents to be running big-time. A bay, we call it, because the sea floods in, but the Golden Gate is also a drain spout for 16 rivers swollen with winter rain.

Racing the Three Bridge Fiasco, you have three marks to round. Each mark is at or under one of three bridges (San Francisco Bay Bridge, The Golden Gate Bridge and the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge). The shortest-possible route (over the ground, not necessarily the shortest route through the water) is 21 miles, and it does not simplify things at all that going from a reverse-order, pursuit start, you may round these marks in any order or any direction at all. Time and again this race draws the biggest fleet for any race of the year in Northern California. Which only goes to show, if you declare a fiasco, they will come. Darned if the name isn't a brilliant stroke of marketing.

Hey Rico, Good luck with the race. I have done it many times over the years and always had a good time. I do recall a time or two that a similar boat to the Commander has done well.

Good luck and hope you get the right weather and weak currents.........ed

Thanks Ed!

350+ boats are signed up so far... with 2 days to go!

(The previous record was just shy of 300...)

Wind forecast ranges from 3kt to 20kt depending on where you look...

Most likely there will be light winds, (although they did pick up today!) and a bit of a current on the start so not only are we all going to be crammed into a small space, there will be guys who misjudged their start trying not to cross the line due to the current.

Someone posted a story about how they crossed the line prematurely STERN first... (There is a 20 min penalty for crossing the start within the 5 min prior to your official start).

I'm sure there will be boats parked in the way of guys trying to start. And there will be guys on the other tack, who are starting in the other direction across the starting line heading right for them. (This is the FIASCO bit!)

There will be guys on starboard pointing at each other across the start line wondering about who has rights.

I'm glad for my high PHRF rating! I'll be one of the first boats off and away from this melee... At peak, there will be about 8 boats crosssing the start per MINUTE.

What a mess!

...should be a lot of fun!

How did it go?

Hey Rico, how was the race? We would love to hear about it!
    mike A-233

Here it is - the race report:

I entered in the non-spinnaker double handed class. (I have yet to rig-up my spinnaker bits...)

Based on the forcasted winds and current, we decided on the following strategy:

(See Chart Below where I've highlighted the markers in red for reference - sorry, the version posted is small...)

- On paper this was as follows: Cross the start line heading East towards Blackaller Bouy (The Golden Gate marker), double back to round Treasure Island (Bay Bridge marker) and then head up North to round Red Rock (Richmond Bridge Marker) Returning towards the start on the eastern shore of Angel Island.

We spent the night before the race in Sausalito and headed up to the San Francisco waterfront just in time to spot the Golden Gate Yacht club buoy thet marked the starting line on the morning of the race...

We proceeded up the current (east) along the city's waterfront and put up sails (Full main and my giant 180% Genoa) in very light easterly wind. We were in the second group starting. Someone shut the wind off just as our start time came around and we drifted west toward the start line with the ebbing current.

We almost went across the start line stern first, but managed to get the boat turned around in our effort to cross the line INSIDE the outer starting line buoy.

We started in a group with some Santana 22's and a few Meritt 25s. Some guy managed to get outside and caught a nice breeze over to Blackaller buoy (Golden Gate Bridge marker) Conditions improved as we got closer to the bouy, and by the time we reached it we had a light but consistent breeze - Maybe 6kt...

We rounded Blackaller in a CCW direction along with a group of other boats, and according to our latest (updated) strategy, continued towards red rock (to the North East) on a course that was almost due North towards Sausalito which would eventually take us through Racoon straits on our way to Red Rock.

Some boats got greedy and climbed away from the parade of slow boats making for Belvedere (and good current running on the North shore of Raccoon Straits), but got stuck by Harding Rock buoy for quite some time with the Windex spinning in circles. I heard that there was a good breeze around the East side of Angel Island after this from some boats that headed this way...

We climbed steadily enjoying a bit better fortune that those that preceeded us... We rounded onto a reach into Racoon Straits and we had a great run through there.

It was a thing of beauty... we cruised by a handful of boats as we reached through the straits - Including a Pearson 36 whose owner asked who the builder of my 'pretty little boat' was... He was surprised at the answer! We were so much faster than him that he asked for a tow! I imagine that the light winds, now maybe at 8kts, made good use of the great amount of canvas we had up front.

We could see a bunch of boats parked at the end of Raccoon Straits and we were gaining on all of them. Some boats that were coming from behind Angel Island were moving along but very slowly. We got to the end of the straits, and joined a buch of boats in the calm there.

Traffic got a bit heavy, but it was not too bad as there was still a tiny bit of breeze but enough to lightly power our rudders. We proceeded very slowly towards Red Rock in a bunch - boats pointed in all directions at times.

We were in good company at this point, but as we got closer to Red Rock we faced a few decisions: We were headed for a Clocwise rounding of Red Rock, but our line & wind were taking us towards a Counter-clockwise rounding... As it turns out, I should have stayed with this, but decided to join the mass which appeared to have a light, but steady breeze, and altered course to join them.

We got to the north of Red Rock to find that the entire fleet we'd been sailing with, about 50-60 boats, was stuck between Red Rock and Richmond (having most rounded the Rock to starboard), and most were going nowhere. In fact, some of them had gone past under the Richmond Bridge, having been swept there by the flood making for a tremendous traffic jam. We were to join them shortly, unable to fight the strong current...

The traffic mess, the light winds, and rights of way made it very hard to fight the current. We were close to T-boning / being T-boned several times...

Yucca, the beautiful black-sailed classic Eight Meter precision racer, simply & easily (defying physics, I think...) powered away around the rock, never to be seen again by us (- heard later that they were first overall).

Layla (a U20) reportedly found a tremendous counter-current going the other way around the rock... -Should have stuck to that strategy!

We finally managed to get a good line back under the bridge, finally defeating the current and with the heavier traffic now gone we got into cleaner air just South of the Rock. The breeze picked up to some 15kt. It was a wonderful sail towards the Bay Bridge...

We could hear on the radio as some containerships communicated their intended route which at least a few times would bring them onto a collission course with the racers. I heard several blasts from these ships, but overall the racing fleet managed to provide clear passage.

As the wind increased, I suspect that the 180% Genoa, which had served us so well in the light winds, began to loose efficiency somehow... The boat was not healing excessively, but it did not feel right either. I need to test this sail's efficiency window...

We decided it was time for a change 100% jib would have given us more speed...

We were somewhere just North of the Berkeley pier, and we had a long way to go to the Bay bridge... since the sun was setting, (and the temperatured dipping) and we could see a bunch of boats becalmed in the lee of Yerba buena Island... in addition to the fact that the race was to terminate at 7:00 (a deadline which we were unlikely to meet as the winds calmed in the early evening... We decided (along with a great number of boats still on the course), to call it a day and head back towards Sausalito in anticipation of meeting some friends for a good post-race dinner.

As we headed back toward Sausalito the boats that had already finished were enjoying the stuff of fantasy, planing home with their kites up while the sun dropped into the sea between the towers of the GG Bridge.

It was an amazing race. Final count was around 370 boats!

Sadly, 'Mephisto Cat' recorded a DNF...

It was a wonderful day of sailing and a lot of fun - I look forward to the next one!
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rico; 02-27-2009 at 12:42 PM.

Three bridge Fiasco - 2010 Edition

This great event is coming-up again shortly (January 30th).
    - Only five boats needed for class trophies!!

I've got it on my calendar... anyone else?

Hey Rico, wondering if you plan on doing the Three Bridge this year. If you are, thought you might be interested in this link. Good luck……ed

http://na.northsails.com/tabid/7240/Default.aspx

Wink 3 Bridge Fiasco - 2011 Edition

As of now it is 11 Days, 22 Hour(s), 57 Minute(s) and 51 Second(s) until the start of the 2011 edition of the 3 Bridge Fiasco.

Anyone coming? I am really looking forward to this year's race as I skipped 2010 due to a wet weather forecast... (Grrrr... - what a wimp!) And it actually turned out to be dry.

So far there are 188 boats signed-up. One of them is the 'Mephisto Cat' which will run in the 'SINGLEHANDED, PHRF - Non Spinnaker' class.

I imagine that there will be 250+ boats participating once the big day comes... Perhaps even more since the weather might bring a bit of sun. We were just shy of 400 boats in 2009.

There are two other Pearsons already signed-up; A Pearson 36, and a Triton. No other Ariels or Commanders. - All it takes is 5 boats to establish a class with its own trophys for podium positions!

EDITs:

It is now: 10 Days, 20 Hour(s), 30 Minute(s) and 47 Second(s) and we have 207 boats - No additional Pearsons yet!

>>> 8 Days, 22 Hour(s), 44 Minute(s) and 26 Second(s) to go... 233 boats signed up. Might just get to 300...

>>> 7 Days, 22 Hour(s), 37 Minute(s) and 36 Second(s) to go... we are at 250 boats already!

>>> 4 Days, 16 Hour(s), 54 Minute(s) and 4 Second(s) to go... We are at 300 Boats!
    Last edited by Rico; 03-21-2012 at 06:20 PM.

2011 Edition of the 3 Bridge Fiasco

Two days to go and I'm almost ready. 369 boats is the total count.

The Express 27, J/105 J/24, & Moore 24 fleets are HUGE! Many multihulls also.

There is an odd bunch of Pearsons:
    Pearson 28-1 (This could be a Triton - or?)
    Pearson 36-2
    Pearson 385
    Pearson Commander
    (The Mephisto Cat / C-155)
    Pearson Triton

Only 2 boats have a higher PHRF rating (are slower) than the Commander (- Both Cal 20's). It will definitely be a Loooong day. Strong currents and light winds are in the forecast. I just hope I can finish before they call the race at 7:00 pm.

As usual, I managed to start a project at the most inopportune time... I replaced the hatch rails on the companionway hatch yesterday. I'd already made & tested the fit for the new wood rails and had been building up the varnish... But I'd been procrastinating on the actual installation. Of course, for some reason I had to get this done now... (I'll post this project on the Mephisto Cat thread after the race).

Watch this space for the results.

The race recap

“Light air and a ripping ebb that primarily affected the slower-rated boats conspired against the fleet. A little over a half of the starters were able to make it to the finish off the Golden Gate YC by the 7 pm deadline…”

That’s how the ‘Latitude 38’ write-up starts (The local sailing rag - available FREE on-line).

-It was brutal out there… especially for us little, slow boats. It was frustrating, but also great fun. I managed to return to my slip with a big smile on my face after almost 13 hrs of single-handling.

I set out from Berkeley just before 7:00 am in order to make my 9:31am start time. - It was still dark out.

I had a great time motoring out in a mild and very clear morning. There was just a hint of a southerly breeze. The strong ebb was modeled to start at about 9:00 but it was already quite strong at the start line by 8:30. I knew it would be ebbing all day regardless of the forecasted flood late in the afternoon due to precipitation, and warm weather in the sierras. It was going to be a looong day without a doubt. If I managed to finish – I would do well in my class.

As the start-time neared, I put my sails up and positioned myself conservatively (A 20 min penalty is automatic for an early start – no penalty turns, or re-starts are allowed.) and slowwwly sailed my way up to the start line. I was happy to be moving in the right direction against the ebb. My strategy was to sail counterclockwise starting with Treasure Island (TI) thinking it would be a tough mark to negotiate at the end of the day – it was not so easy at the start as it turns out…

I crossed the start line a minute or so late in an increasing current. I kept my distance from shore afraid to lose the southerly breeze if I hugged the city front too close – I was the boat furthest from shore (and in stronger current) but held the pace nicely all along the city front...

There was a big calm on the west side of TI and none of us were getting anywhere. The skies seemed to be getting increasingly darker – physically and figuratively.

I began to loose speed as I got into the middle of the channel as I left the city and approached TI. I had chosen a genoa hoping for an early westerly, but the resulting lack of pointing ability prevented me from fighting strongest current. Boats were sticking to the city-front heading south towards the stadium many unable to handle the ebb either… Some of the faster boats now on the course seemed to skim over the current… Why can’t C-155 be faster!

Looking at the conditions, I decided to make a desperate sail change and in the process I got sucked towards Alcatraz. (Note to self: get an autopilot!) When I completed my change I could barely see boats parked at TI just north of the Bay Bridge. (I heard later that it was an anchor-fest in the area.) The rain was on top of them and they were barely visible.

I decided to look for wind on the opposite side of Alcatraz, and well aided by the current – I made my way nicely around – now aiming for a rounding of TI via the easterly side. I was making nice progress in a light breeze. Not much to do at this point – I decided to have lunch so I could stop abusing the incompetent crew...

It was then that the skies opened-up around me. Visibility was so bad, that I could only see one other boat out of the 350+ stating. I held my course and as I neared TI, I realized that I was approaching a mass of boats. I was happy to have recovered from my blunder (- sort-of), and happier that I was able to keep moving – even if it was only at about 1kt. Everyone else ahead seemed to be parked. - I would soon join them.

Boats were getting pushed out by the current on the east side of TI as they rounded the NE corner, so I looked for some current relief VERY close to shore. There were a handful of us attempting this strategy. Some multi-hulls, and myself were somewhat successful making endless tacks up-current… a slow and oh-so-tiring process while singlehandling. A few of the larger mono-hulls attempting this strategy fell victim to the shallows and got stuck in the mud. Their engines cam on and they headed for home much happier... Others escaped by sailing into the Emeryville shallows.

I started seeing boats sailing past going down-wind at this point. I figured that the opposite side was finally getting relief, but after chatting with a couple of crews, I found out they were retiring. Tha explained why they were so cheerful!

After endless tacking upwind & up-current along the eastern edge of Treasure Island (and a couple of close-call bounces off the muddy bottom!), the Mephisto Cat and its resolute crew managed to sail under the Bay Bridge.

Just as I negotiated the bridge columns in the stiff current (made harder by the addition of temporary support columns for the new span) I had a bit of a problem... On one of the last dozen or so tacks, due to a freakish sequence of events, my sheet snagged the GPS (Stored un a clear plastic tube up by the coambing) and flung it overboard! There could not be a worse place for this to happen; Under the Bridge while negotiating narrow gaps between columns in an opposing current while facing plenty of traffic coming the other way... Absolutely brilliant.

Unphased, I immediatley executed a quick MOB manouver and perfectly positioned myself to easily fish the GPS out of the current. A perfect first pass!!! ( I was impressed! - but I'm sure no-one else knew what I was doing...) Some of the boats coming towards me must have wondered what the heck I was doing...

I continued to round the south point of TI and I was finally sailing down-current. What a relief! -Going around the point SO close to shore was a bit nerve-wrecking as I was not very familiar with the waters there and it is quite rocky... But we made it through in good shape...

Unfortunately the wind was almost non-existent on the west side and lots of time had gone by! In any case, I was still making progress pushed by the current and a following breeze.

Seeing the conditions up to this point, I doubted that I would be able to finish before the 19:00 deadline. Giving-up this early in the day was not an option! Based on these conditions, anyone in a small(er) boat, or anyone in my class would do well IF they were just able to finish.

After some 30 minutes, -and a quick visti by a slip neighbor in a motorboat; the breeze filled in from the West and I had quite a memorable run straight north towards Red Rock. This was beautiful AND refreshing.

I was making-up quite a bit of time (relative to my class) sailing in the company of much faster boats. I was surrounded by kites! The breeze held for some 8 miles all the way to Red Rock. It was just beautiful. Even taking the horizontal rain into account! The GPS shows quite a few 7 & 8kt readings along this point of sail.

I was making quick progress, but the ‘sun’ was setting fast… I was thinking that it would be a very close shave for my finish – provided that the breeze held to the finish. I was sailing away from home at this point, so I had to get myself to not think of retiring – I stopped predicting my prospects for speed, and sailed on!

I rounded Red Rock with a handful of other boats – all with a much lower rating than C-155. As expected, the flood was not materializing and I saw small hope for a timely finish…

It was soon pitch dark and a beautiful night with all the lights around the bay clearly visible...

The rain was gone and there was not a hint of fog. I kept sailing towards raccoon straits in an increasingly shifty breeze. Some 45 minutes before the finish I was still sailing in a light breeze and barely at the entrance to Raccoon straits. Even so, I was happy admiring an amazing night for sailing in SF Bay.

My bliss was shattered as I realized that there would be no chance that I'd make the finish.

As it turned out; only the lowest rated boats finished this edition of the 3 Bridge Fiasco by 19:00.
    The smaller (High PHRF rating) boats (such as C-155) had a particularly tough time. The Singlehanded Non-spinnaker class was decimated – all DNFs across the board.

I altered my course to head back to Berkeley. I had about an hour’s sail to my slip which was very enjoyable. I took my time as I was pretty tired. About half way home; I hove-to to do some chores, take in the scenery, have a snack, and put the motor into the well – just in case the wind came-up at the Berkeley-end of the slot.

I found out later that the winning boat had chosen to go clockwise… I do not know if I could have made it up Raccoon straits or around point blunt in the strong ebb had I decided to go that way. I think this would have been unlikely with the horrendous water-flows we were experiencing...

UPDATE: I have since heard from slow boat skippers who opted for this clockwise option... Some boats ended up getting sucked out under the Golden Gate bridge and quit upon reaching point Bonita light with no evident posibility of sailng back in... So it was apparently just as impossible to go the other way around in a slow boat...

Despite my DNF, the rain, & cold, I had a great time & enjoyed quite a memorable race.

Picture 1:
    Shortly after the start... Heading west along the waterfront.

Picture 2:
    The area just past the starting line. Lots of boats going nowhere... This was taken as I grudgingly made my way to the North side of Alcatraz.

Picture 3:
    More boats fighting the current on the city front. This is a rabbit start so there are many boats starting at the mid point of the start sequence.

Picture 4:
    Where did everybody go?? Here comes the rain... (Same general view as previous picture - just a bit later)

Picture 5:
    Sailing towards Red Rock (The Big lump in the distance) in a nice breze at a steady 5-6 kts. The big boat was faster, but I had the better line. We rounded at about the same time as he had to sail a longer course.
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by Rico; 01-26-2012 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Update, Yet more Typos...

Rico your descriptions are always enjoyable to read. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time during the reading of your account.

Thanks 109 I'm glad you enjoy my stories! (Some of them are true too!)

The 2012 edition of the singlehanded Sailing Society is on January 28th!

http://www.sfbaysss.org/

Last year there were 5 o 6 Pearsons at the start. I do not see any this year among the 182 boats signed-up so far...

Anyone else coming? The Mephisto Cat will be there... I am 'bout to sign up! (I'll need help bringing up the rear!)

Wish me luck. I am dreading the cold and wet weather in the forecast!
    Last edited by Rico; 03-21-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Yes! Nemesis will attend - rain or shine - hoping for a breath of wind....
    Jeff C-151 Nemesis

Fly the ACYA burgee, gentlemen!

Always Bill. Always... It is the only burgee I fly.
    It makes me much faster - I do much better than when I've left it off!

I'm signed-up!
    208 boats so far - there is a Pearson 36 signed-up; but no Ariels...

Might be able to take him on... NOT so sure about the SL-33 Cat (America's Cup USA#4 World-series hard-winged catamaran)
    His PHRF rating is -104 (NEGATIVE 104 that is!).

+ Reply to Thread