Thread: Commander #155 'Mephisto Cat'

Threaded View

Berkeley

A quick one to share a bit of news: The Mephisto Cat now has a slip at the Berkeley Marina!
    I've managed to snag a slip in a great location...

A short video of the great sail I had on my way down is here:
    http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...-Video-Gallery

The move is about 16 miles to the South West as the crow flies - or a 30 mile sail from the Vallejo Marina in San Pablo Bay (North San Francisco Bay) down to the Central Bay.

I am really looking forward to spending much more quality sailing time in the middle of San Francisco Bay... I found that although I really enjoyed the day-long sail down to the bay, it seemed that I spent most of my sailing on the trips back & forth and only spending typically 1/2 day cruising SF Bay... as it seems that my crew thought it to be a bit too much sailing at once -apparently...

In any case, I am eaker to explore some of the central bay's offerings. Plus I'll be sailing with a lot more company since everyone flocks to the central bay...

Just in time for the great weather... Actually, we are looking forward to 4 days of rain next week!

Just on my very dock, there are TWO Ariels and one Commander. One of the Ariels is right next door! (See Picture #1) Usually, I'm lucky to see one on a dock somewhere, or see one sailing off in the distance.

The Ariel next door ('Ya never know'; A-192 / CF 0583 KX) is in Excellent condition - Lots of upgrades, and very well maintained. I've had a few nice chats with the owner Jerry when scoping out slips. He continues to keep her up and sails often when he is in town. (UPDATE: Jerry has decided to take the boat down to Moss landing -deep in the Monterrey bay between Santa Cruz & the town of Monterrey.)

The Commander ('Galatea'; C-??? (hull number is higher than 223 as it has a bridge deck)/ CF 6957 SL) - It looks old, but it is in good shape and all the bits are there... This could be a great boat. I've been told that it serves as someone's self storage locker. That's all I know. It sits there very lonely... (UPDATE: This boat has been chained-up and will be likely sold by the marina. I never did meet the 'former' owner...)

The other Ariel ('Horizons'; A-35 / CF 1234 CA) - well... it is not pampered as much... It sits unrigged with a pulpit sitting upside down on deck... I've noticed someone spending nights occasionally. No contact yet...

A few pictures of the new digs:

Picture 1 'Ya never know' and the 'Mephisto Cat' share a double slip. We agreed to tie the boat's sterns together in order to keep the boat off the single fingers. It works beautifully. The Mephisto cat has its cover partly off as I was working on my latest project... (I am almost done!)

You can also see a few of the lovely trees that block the wind making this a very calm area in the marina. Gotta love it.

Picture 2 Looking Northwest towards the yacht club building and the harbor entry.

Picture 3 A view to the Northeast of the secondary fairway where my dock is located. I like this fairway becasue the main fairway can be quite busy. The Entrance to the harbor is directly east of the Golden Gate and the wind typically vigorously blows directly into the harbor. Most everyone likes to have all sails hoisted on entry and exit to ensure staying off the seawall!

Picture 4 View to the north. These boats are between the secondary fairway and the main fairway.
    Attached Images        
    Last edited by Rico; 10-13-2010 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Added boat info