+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander 227

Hybrid View

Nice fall sail

We have been having an amazing fall sailing season so far, compare these pictures to those I posted last fall on around the same dates.
    Another sailor snapped these shots of The Princess with her jib boom. (which we LOVE!)
    Attached Images        

Man, those pics are lovely. I love the jib boom too. Tell me, where did you get it and how much trouble was it to install?

Sirocco, who was supposed to have been splashed in June, is still on the hard. She had a lot more deck problems than anyone suspected but all of that has been repaired and she's been painted. It's my understanding that the marina is reinstalling hardware and then, after all my deliberation over the matter, they will install a new Kubota 14 diesel to replace the Atomic that was pulled earlier in the summer.

I think that I'd love to have that jib boom added to the mix. That just looks like a great way to go.

cheers, jon

Excuse my igornance, but I'm curious how a jib boom works with a foresail larger than the one you're flying. Or is flying a genoa simply not an option with that set up? On Lucky Dawg, my headsail choice with respect to wind conditions - and often the choice is a larger foresail - makes a big difference in our performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander227 View Post
    We have been having an amazing fall sailing season so far, compare these pictures to those I posted last fall on around the same dates.
    Yeah! No kidding there, Mike. Last October in Minne-what the #*!! am I doing here-ota was crappy! She looks beautiful out there. I'm surprised we can't see your smile in those photos.

Kyle, your 'J' cant be any longer than your jib boom. But if you doo a lot of tacking I don't see how you could beat having one. Maybe Lucky Dawg can have a asymetrical for those lower wind speeds?
    My home has a keel.

Mike

Your Princess sure is a good looking boat. And thanks for posting the pics with her under sail while using the jib boom. The headsail looks well tuned using the Hoyt jib boom.

Like Lucky Dawg I am curious about how easy it is to use a genoa with the jib boom up there. Have you sailed her that way yet? Did the genoa hang up on the jib boom or did it float over it?

Also you probably don't anchor out much on your lake but I have been concerned about how much the jib boom would be in the way when anchoring out. I suppose it could be say pulled to starboard and secured near the rail for those times but the forward end of it would still be possibly in the way. What are your thoughts on that?
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

+ Reply to Thread