[size=3]This morning I as was re-reading Kurt's account of bringing Katie Marie home, [/size][size=3]I came across the following excerpt;[/size]

[size=3]"Now, some folks have a strong aversion to running aground. I do too, when circumstances warrant it, but I'm not scared of boat-touching-dirt when there is nothing to be scared of. My only concern was large wakes, but there was very little traffic this day, so I felt we would be alright, and soon Katie would float again, swinging head to anchor and wind, probably in 20-30 minutes. I probably could have backed off under engine power; I'd been half expecting to polish the keel on the bar anyway, and so had been moving at a drift when we got upon it. However, being a relative professional at this style of intentional grounding has its merits, and I think I could even describe it as a "technique", if forced to take a position on it by some argumentative boating types. Different strokes for different folks, and all that. Anyway, it served the purpose, and in about 25 minutes I felt Katie lift and start to turn into the wind, a floating boat again. I was halfway through getting ready for the next leg, so I watched for a few minutes to see that the Fortress, self-proclaimed "Worlds Best Anchor", would hold us steady, and, seeing that it did, continued my tasks."[/size]

[size=3]Drawn from;[/size]

Link to Kurt's Log 'Katie Marie comes Home'

[size=1](An excellent read by the way).[/size]

[size=3]As a fellow 'relative professional' at running aground, I would dare say that the sand in the New river does a nice job of keeping the bottom of my keel clean.[/size]