+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Commander in March Issue of Sailing

Commander in March Issue of Sailing

There is an interesting article in the March 2003 issue of Sailing about Zoltan Istvan, his Pearson Commander, "The Way", and his adventures in Vanuatu Island in the western South Pacific . Zoltan sailed from Los Angeles to the Vanuatus and then on to the Solomon Islands in the Commander. There is no number on the sail. Two pictures from the article are attached.
    Attached Images  

Here is another one.
    Attached Images  

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Zoltan's boat was 1966 Commander # 266. He sold it about two years ago to a nice couple from New York City, Tim and Tamara.

Before they left for Greece, Tim came out for a sail on my boat. I showed Tim my special tips for sailing a Commander.

They haven't been heard from since, but I don't think there's any connection.

RIGGING FOR BLUE WATER

Zoltan,

Would you be willing to describe to our members how you upgraded the Commander's standing and running rigging for the trip?
    =====

Hi Ronald,

I'm on a story for National Geographic Channel right now in Argentina and have little if any time. Basically, I upgraded one size on all my stays, and redid all the chainplates, especially the aft one which is the weakest link of the rigging on a commander. I put dual forestays on. lastly, I had additional metal plates welded to the mast head top for strength. Probably I made it as far as I did because I rarely carried full sail--meaning I was often reefed--and possibly because of much luck.

Cheers, zoltan

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    The June 2003 issue of Sailing magazine contains an article on modern day piracy. It includes a half page story by Zoltan about being accosted by pirates off Yemen.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commanderpete; 07-03-2003 at 07:02 AM.

The Travel Channel filmed Zoltan in a re-enactment of the incident for an upcoming documentary on travel survival.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commanderpete; 07-03-2003 at 07:05 AM.

Talking

Most of the pirates I've seen lately were at the gas docks in the marinas handing you the hose, so to speak.

From that photo of Zoltan, it appears there is an insulator in the backstay. It also looks like the traveler system is original Pearson!

diameter of stays/shrouds

I am still several hundred miles away from my manual and my boat so I'll ask what was the original diameter of the stays & shrouds and to what size would Zolton have upgraded them?

By the way...I am leaving Buffalo soon, very soon and will be spending a lot more quality time with my Ariel!!!

ORIGINAL CABLE DIAMETER

Original equipment cable diameter is 3/16 inch.

There is some mention of Zoltan's rig modifications in his ebay ad.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commanderpete; 07-07-2003 at 12:52 PM.

Page 2
    Attached Images  

Page 3

Who knew you could fit this much stuff in a Commander?
    Attached Images  

"The Way" For Sale Again

Looks like Zoltan's old boat was nicely refurbished by the new owners and is again for sale in Greece. Here is the text of the ad:

Description
    The Way is a full-keel 1966 Pearson Commander (Hull #266) sloop waiting for you at the beautiful Greek Island of Trizonia, located in the Gulf of Corinth. She is a safe, strong vessel built of fiberglass composite and is equipped for cruising for your comfort and safety.
    The Way is a well-known vessel; her former owner sailed her across the Pacific and Indian Oceans before ending his travels in Greece.

As current owners, we gave The Way a complete renovation in 2001: fresh bottom, topside, deck, and interior paint, a new nonskid surface, refinished woodwork, new cockpit and quarter berth cushions, mainsail cover, stainless steel yacht cleats, lifelines, replacement of all worn rigging, electrical rewiring, and much, much more. We just returned from a second trip to Greece and did even more work on her. She now looks as good as she sails.

Greece is an enchanting country that can easily be explored by sea. Sailing aboard The Way was the experience of a lifetime for us. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to explore Greece and the whole Mediterranean in an economical and adventurous fashion.

The commander's nine-foot cockpit, with two storage lockers and aft lazarette, leaves plenty of room to enjoy your sail. The Way is equipped with 3 (three) brass winches and anodized aluminum mast and boom. The sail inventory consists of three (3) mainsails, two (2) working jibs, two (2) storm jibs, and a Genoa. She also comes with a spinaker pole. The sails are in usable condition; some are better than others. A MARINER 9.9-hp long-shaft outboard fits into a well in the aft lazarette and powers the boat well.

Below deck, headroom is 5' with one port side quarter berth and a v-berth that has been made into a double bed that comfortably sleeps two. The galley is starboard and includes a sink and a two-burner stove with broiler. There are four cabin windows and a forward hatch. The cabin sole and interior trim are teak. The vessel has numerous storage shelves located throughout.

By purchasing The Way, you are getting more than just a sailboat located in Greece. The boat is totally equipped for cruising. The only things you will need to bring are your clothing and a set of linens (sheets and towels). All electronics and equipment include the paperwork and manuals. The Way is US Coast Guard Certified and is also registered in New York. These ownership documents, the keys, the Owners Manual and Maintenance Guide for the boat, and detailed location instructions will be mailed to the purchaser on receipt of payment.

Purchase of The Way includes all the following items and more:

MARINE EQUIPMENT
    o MARINER 9.9HP 2-stroke outboard long-shaft
    o Three (3) mainsails, two (2) working jibs, two (2) storm jibs, and one (1) genoa sail
    o Two (2) 6.5 gal polyethylene fuel tanks
    o Two (2) solar panels (Siemens 10 watt and BP 20 watt)
    o One (1) Brand-new 95 amp marine deep-cycle battery
    o 25-lb CQR anchor on bow roller w/125-ft 5/16-in chain and 500-ft 7/16-in rode
    o 18-lb DANFORTH anchor
    o PLASTIMO Contest 130 bulkhead compass
    o MAGELLAN 315 handheld GPS
    o APELCO fisherfinder 260
    o HORIZON VHF radio and Metzo mast antenna
    o RAYTHEON Autohelm AH800 Plus tiller pilot
    o Two (2) submersible bilge pumps with float switch
    o GUSHER cockpit mounted bilge pump
    o Voltmeter
    o Masthead running lights
    o Spreader light
    o Radar reflector
    o Wind indicator
    o Fenders and dock lines
    o Boat hook
    o 42 gallons fresh water capacity (two built-in tanks)
    o Two (2) life jackets, safety harnesses, and jacklines
    o One (1) fire extinguisher
    o AVON Redcrest dinghy and oars with foot pump
    o 1.75 hp Tanka outboard engine (needs work)
    o Cockpit table

OTHER MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS INCLUDE:
    o Mark 25 Davis Sextant
    o Barometer
    o Binoculars
    o GRUNDIG yachtboy 400 world band radio
    o Portable 140-watt power inverter
    o 12V cooler
    o 2-burner Camping Gaz stove with broiler
    o Camping Gaz lantern
    o One (1) large and two (2) small MAGLITE flashlights
    o Solar AA battery charger
    o CAFRAMO 12V cabin fan
    o SUNBRELLA covered cockpit cushions and cockpit shade awning
    o SUNBRELLA mainsail cover
    o Bug screens for hatch and companionway
    o Wind scoop
    o H2O solar shower
    o Dishes, pots, pans, utensils
    o Down comforter and three (3) pillows
    o A multitude of navigation charts and books
    o Outboard engine flusher
    o MAKITA cordless drill, saw and sander, as well as a toolbox full of other tools
    o Lots of spare parts and extra bolts, nuts, etc.
    o Medicine chest
    o Scuba tank, regulator, vest, mask, snorkel and fins
    o Dive light
    o Hawaiin sling
    o Yamaha guitar and case
    o European cell phone
    o 35mm camera
    o Plus a whole lot more....

Vehicle Condition
    Boat in good sailing condition.

Here is the link to the ad. Click under the photo to view more pictures

http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/marine...gi?id=31667-ad

+ Reply to Thread