Thread: How tough IS the bottom of our keel?

Threaded View

Frank, it's a nissan NS5B. 5hp long shaft 2stroke, weighs 44 lbs.Through the prop exhaust, no problem with the lid closed yesterday. Very little exhaust at all noticable.

I think where she ran up on the rock is a pretty solid and tough area.(the boat! rock too for that matter!)
    I remember drilling drain holes around the keel while on the trailer, but couldn't get to the VERY bottom. You know, what she sits on. I can imagine it being pretty darn thick under that lead, having an idea of the mold, glass, resin...building process. .and the overlap you speak of. It supports the whole weight of her on the hard, so can't imagine it doing much in the water where the majority of the boat is still afloat. But we are talking HARD basalt rock here. And maybe 1/2 knot. 5 knots? Yeah, i can imagine some damage.
    How hard is coral?

If i did hole her, the ballast cavity would fill up first, right? Guess if she's still afloat when i go down tomorrow, i'll feel better. Sure a sick feeling hearing and feeling her hit. I can't imagine being the skipper of a 90' schooner, 30 yrds. off the beach and having it happen. Churn churn.
    I see they got her off last night.
    Last edited by willie; 03-25-2005 at 10:33 AM.
    wet willieave maria