Hi Willie,

In Raritan Bay we have a lot of high speed commuter ferries, as well as lots of commercial tugs, barges, tankers etc. that generate a mess of wakes, swells and whatnot, as well as some bodacious ocean and bay swells on an east wind. During one race we actually got pooped by a ferry wake, right into the cockpit - wet my white yachting shoes, and soiled my blue blazer sleeve.
Something we've found helpful while running close hauled into swells or high wakes is to turn down a few degrees into the wakes and turn back up when they pass. This helps maintain your speed so you don't stall, cause the wakes will try and force you into the wind and irons if you're not careful. Also, if the jib sheets are eased a bit that pocket helps you power through the peaks. You may lose a degree of point, but make it up on speed. Also, in higher air, Ariels love big jibs, and you don't always need a lot of main to go fast. I reef down the main and run on the jib - helps weather helm that way too.

Downwind is tricky with any kind of following or quartering sea. Lots of tiller work, and stay alert. I try to run wing and wing every chance I get, with good results mostly.

Carry on..