+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander 227

Hybrid View

Big Oil on the skids

Pricey bigger boats are leaving the factory with electric motors and solar panels. They
    are sewing panels onto sails now (SolarCloth mains). Retractable OceanVolt saildrive
    leg powered by 1/3 AGM weight lithium batteries. OceanVolt also can get a folding
    prop to open in neutral and spin it to help charge the system.

Well, only mean to say: electric propulsion is here to stay big time.
    J/Boats J/88c is all electric. OV sail drive. SolarCloth sails from UK Sailmakers.
    Gunboat G4 Beneteau foiling cat with a retractable OV saildrive leg. Get it up and GO.

Torqeedo has just arrived with a 100lb 20 horse OB with 10,000 watt input power, 5600
    watts propulsive power. 5k. Don't know what batts won't drain immediately or how to
    keep them charged from a 26' platform. It's coming, but holy conniptions, it's pricey!!

Jerry, Thanks for the pros and cons. You have some cons there never dreamed of! I'm
    seriously considering cashing out some of my retirement funds for this still new stuff.
    Don't know what I doing really. Keep looking over here for inspiration..sold my Yamaha
    8-4... no way will there'll be petroleum aboard... ever again!

Even talked with OV, who could help me for $20,000 or so with a horizontal motor like
    you guys! My Ariel always had a well. And the "bank account" is no way deep enough.
    Last edited by ebb; 01-11-2016 at 03:10 PM.

+ Reply to Thread