Yikes! Mike, thanks for digging it up. Would this coupler add to the length of the shaft and necessitate shortening my $$ brand new $$ shaft? Frankly, it sounds nice, but I'm thinking I should probably have a local yard take a look at the alignment and see if it is even an issue, and spend my dwindling boat funds on necessities right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bill@ariel231
Mike do you know the pitch of your current prop (and maybe the transmission ratio or type?)
Prop: 13x11
Transmission ratio: 2.62

I was able to borrow a prop puller, and the whole process was anti-climactic really. It just kind of came loose once I had tightened the nut down. After I cleaned off some of the bottom paint on the prop, I could read the above stamp.

Curious thing: after entering my data into a couple of prop calculators, they came back with a LARGER prop recommendation! Also, a very helpful guy at Michigan Wheel said that this prop is about the theoretical size for my given parameters.

The only thing I can think is the tachometer is malfunctioning. Is it possible to have a "wrong" tachometer that doesn't read the RPMs correctly?

Could it be something else? Am I missing something?