Thread: Port frames, again

Threaded View

A Tight Liner?

It's a real surprise that the liner would be tight to the inside of the cabin molding. Check to see if the frames of your deadlights have pulled the much thinner liner tight around the holes. Shining an oblique light over the surface will show it as obvious concavity. It would take tremendous force to pull the liner tight to the sides. I wonder if the 3/8 to 1/2" space has been filled by a former owner? I can't believe Pearson had ANY close tolerances with the cabin liner. It was just stuck in there and cinched tight in a couple places. (Under the bridge deck and on top of the compression beam. In 338 it was hardly attached under the side decks where swags had developed because the molding had been pulled out of shape when they installed.)

Original window was glass. Don't think it would have bent to conform to the curve of the cabin if the space wasn't there between the line and the cabin side. The frames would bend to the curve but the glass would 'float' in the caulking nearly flat. Would need room for that. There is very little adjustment possible with those bitty screws they used to clamp the inner frame to the outer frame. They would have had to custom a lot of screws to get a tight fit to skinnier sides. I wonder what you have there???

On 338, total filled thickness of the hole at the deadlights is 1/2 to 5/8". I spent some time fairing the liner to the cabin sides with shims. I think I got it pretty good. The liner is very bent out of shape anyway because it is yanked by fastenings at all points. (hand rails, hatch stiles, companionway framing, coaming logs, winches, fairleads, whatever) I've always felt they just JAMMED it in til they got REFUSAL. (Can't you see a couple guys in there holding it up with their heads til they got it propped in four places - sort of?) They needed a pretty loose fit.

{It is possible that someone in an attempt at stopping leaks has pulled the liner over to the sides and glued it! He or she couldn't have got it closed at the top of the holes because of the definite molded curve there. Might be a clue looking here. If this is the case, I would see if the two could be cut apart, separated and filled - what I believe is the right and stronger way.]
    Last edited by ebb; 02-01-2005 at 07:49 AM.