Thread: Navigation Lights

Threaded View

Practical Sailor led nav light ratings

continued from post #71
    In that post I conjectured that the P.S. tests were slightly skewerd because they left out a major nav light manufacturer HELLA.
    They left out AQUASIGNAL also!!!

I was cruising around the net trying for the last time to find somebody else horning in on the lucrative led navlight market. On the whimsical Jametown site they have a video box where we can view an equally uninformative guy at a boat show changing out the old quart sized AguaSignal incandescent masthead fixture for a spiffy led replacement.... He kind of waggles the old one out and shoves the new one into the same old base! Cool! But he doesn't identify the bright new shorty. Naturally we can't find the fixture in the scramble of nav lights in Jamestown's online catalog pages. They don't sell it !
    Anyway, it is the S-32 Tri-Anchor. Shipstore has it for $645,77. But you can shell out $450/460 at pyacht if you have to have one. Hope it comes WITH a base! I'm tired of looking for prices.
    The matching series side lights are in the $80 range.

OK, don't you think this is strange
    that Practical Sailor also did NOT include this tri-color in its Feb 2010 comparison ratings.
    But they did use "for comparison purposes" the 25w AquaSignal incandescent.....yeah,
    it would be hard to ignore a nav light manufacturer that's been in business since 1868!
    So why in hell is AquaSignal's led tri-color light NOT included?
    Well maybe it's because it has a FOURTH all round white light on it!
    And P.S. wasn't interested in THAT function.
    OR interested in informing their readers (who like me want ALL the information they can get right now!) that that function was even available! BAH, HUMBUG.

google> agua signal Corporation
    www. aguasignal.info/ecat/htdocs/index.php?id=209
    (I'm going to assume that address won't come up, so try to type into google the title just as I have it. (Home Page - Support - FAQ.)
    It is Q&A page where AquaSignal nureyevs all over itself telling us what and what not to do with their old masthead lanterns, nav lights and bulbs.
    For us poor sods updating AquaSignal incandescent to led.

Think I'm putting this recent Practical Sailor test into the same category as their infamous marina ooze anchor test of years ago. Their credibility for me is walking the plank.
    We assume that P.S. (our only marine product, no advert, testing source) has our interests foremost. Nav lights are of utmost importance and every aspect of what is in the market should be revealed by P.S. Afterall they are doing the 'scientific' study and collecting the data for us. We assume that P.S. is testing ALL COLREG APPROVED nav lights when we study their test results in the magazine. We aren't served by P.S. ignoring without comment manufacturers with long standing reputations. Or pretending that certain available options/features like the all round aren't of importance or interest.
    Last edited by ebb; 08-12-2014 at 10:53 AM.