Thread: Navigation Lights

Threaded View

more?

C'pete, I finally see what you are getting at.

Any boat with an all round white light ON and not anchored is a boat under power.
    Any boat under power with an all round white steaming light will not have its STERN light on.
    But any boat will have its port and starboard lights on.
    That means, in effect, that the masthead tri-color cannot be on.... Because the tri lights cannot be turned on and off separately.
    Because when steaming with an all round white light, the white stern light part of the trilight cannot be on at the same time.

But I can see that in a sailboat not switched correctly that the tri-color and the all round white could be on at the same time. And that would cause confusion for the observer.

That's why a sailboat our size should have separate port and starboard and stern light at deck level.
    Cruising or offshore I would definitely include the tri-light and the all round white
    anchor light.

[It's a whole other dual fixture, but I know I've seen an all led steaming light and amp-eating deck light combo that is mounted at spreader height. Personally this is an excellent idea. And if attracting attention at sea these lights are perfect.
    However, for picky regs I don't see how cutting a major portion of the steaming light by mounting it on the front of the mast makes it legal.
    But do see that the mast will create a beneficial shadow for the poor guy in the cockpit.]

Also, I don't recall seeing a halfmast steaming light shown in any required nav light diagram.
    Conceivably it is less legal than a tri-light with an all round anchor/steaming light.

Just to make things difficult: I have a diagram here that shows a white MASTHEAD steaming light that has a wedge blacked out on the aft side that corresponds exactly with the stern light wedge shaped light down on the DECK LEVEL. Also the red/green side lights are on.
    Thus, you'd have your three normal deck level lights with a three sided white masthead steaming light.
    This evidently conforms exactly to USCG rules for a sailboat under power.

BUT, a masthead 360 white light IS also Regulation for steaming under power.....
    Have the diagram to prove it.
    THAT IS IF YOU TURN OFF THE DECK LEVEL STERN LIGHT AND keep your sidelights on.
    That seems simple enough.
    As a bonus you get an allround anchor light when the side lights are off.

Whewww!
    Last edited by ebb; 02-17-2010 at 01:40 PM.