Thread: Navigation Lights

Threaded View

masthead navlight

Reviewed a bit of history of this thread to see if masthead was covered. Getting forgetful.
    because I wanted to ask what pbryant has 30 feet over his head when sailing at night.

Found the Practical Sailor response to my crab about their review of tri-colors.
    Ebb believes tri-color masthead LEDS must also be FOUR LIGHT - just the way I am.

2010 in this thread:
    Got upset with PS because they didn't admit that four color mastheads even existed,
    and they excluded Hella and AquaSignal from their review. It generated a phone
    response from the PS editor who was mifted at my language but still only responded
    to half of my complaint.
    So far as I've been able to determine, in the four years to the present, Practical
    Sailor has not put together another all inclusive masthead light comparison test.
    I think individual MHLs have been introduced, like the new lunasea. but nothing
    that takes them on all together.

While I was 'wandering around', as PS called my search method, I stumbled onto a
    patch hosted by SAILNET, that MaineSail holds forth on.
    The thread is called:
    Sometimes Practical Sailor Is Not So Practical..... from 5-30-2008
    where he takes PS to task - in a much more fatherly way than I can - taking apart an
    editorial called "Tinned Wire Myth Busted". Basically showing how wrong they are,
    and showing us (featuring MaineSail's patented foto close ups)
    how-where-when-why tinned wire MUST be used when wiring a boat. No cheating.

Looked at my Hella four light masthead* (and my set of AquaSignal Series 33 wire tails)
    ....all wire ends have have the silver look of being tinned.
    *The Hella masthead clear housing is "UV resistant ultra heavy duty polyamide lens".
    Both crystal clear lens and body composed of high performance nylon.
    Also carries the CE symbol of Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC). 7year warranty.
    .................................................. .................................................. ...........................

What has happen to the magazine in these 4 years hasn't splashed any that I've heard.
    There is a mean provinciality in having google whisk us to a site for some PS lowdown
    on LED replacements for incandescents. Only to read a piece of the lead paragraph
    that suddenly stops with: "If you want to read the rest of this article you must be a subscriber."
    Really???? Maybe Practical Sailor isn't a dependable source of advice?
    PS, Keep your advice close - in the bucolic backwaters of your karma.
    Last edited by ebb; 08-17-2014 at 09:18 AM.