Thread: REACHING AND RUNNING

Threaded View

Cool overcanvassed downwind

Thanks for the info., I've still got so much to learn. Hadn't really given being overcanvassed downwind much thought. Sure would be nice to go out "sailing" with someone with some experience. Around here, you say sailing, and they just kinda look at you funny!

So on a run downwind, wing and wing, say with 15-20 knots, gusts to 25-30, do you pole the working jib out to windward, put a reef in the main to leeward? I've done the wing and wing in less air, worked ok on calm water. Decided reaching back, keeping the jib to leeward and steering so you don't blanket it with the main worked ok. So if she's wallowing bad in the following seas, guess it's time for a reef in the main? And stupid question, but how does one go about that singlehanded? Heave too with the jib backwinded, tiller lashed over to leeward? I've been working on that too, seems to work ok for awhile.

Also, on the jibs, I have a small working jib, high cut clew, id say it's probably
    only 70-80 %? No battens, like the origional working jib for the Ariel was. Also have a 150 genoa that was made for a J-24. North Sails, with the nylon straps and snaps for hanks. Seems to set great. I've been hesitant to use it when it's blowing good. Maybe i need to get over that. I've had it on in say, 10-15knots, and worked great. Was able to balance her good enough to go below, fwd. and mess around for a bit. Sure helped the weather helm, and that makes sense. So you're saying go with the 150, and reef the main if it seems like it's too much? Humm...
    Last edited by willie; 10-19-2004 at 11:41 AM.
    wet willieave maria