Hey Willie,

I would like to offer an idea if you want to pursue the idea if wing and wing. In S.F. we do a lot of sailing in similar conditions that you speak of. On Pathfinder we are often pushing the limits. Jib winged out is a point of sail that is often used. One little tool that we have is a ring attached at the clew of the sail. This ring is made out of some old shroud material. It is tied in with the sheets.

The ring is what the pole is attached to. This allows us to jibe the sail without having to unattach from the clew. You just disconnect the pole from the mast slide the pole aft of the head stay push it forward on the new side and then attach it to the mast. After it is made fast trim the jib from the cockpit and jibe the main. It is all in the timing and takes a bit of practice.

As far as what and when in terms of sails I think I agree with the others. Larger jibs up to around 15 knots true and smaller jibs after that (100 or 120). Spinnaker not much more than 15 true unless you have a real experienced crew and a set of twingers pre rigged.

God luck man, it sounds like you are having fun....ed