+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how many fair leads do we really need?

Hybrid View

The padeyes on Commander #92 were for the jib sheet dead end. The sheet ran from there to a single block on the clew and back to the block on the 12" track on the cabintop. From there these 2:1 sheets came to a sheave with a cam cleat on the coaming top. A sheeting platform was configured on the coaming's top edge to mount the sheave / cam cleat.

See my drawing at http://www.bway.net/~bogle/winch.html

This was a Commander that was purchased from Pearson without the winch option. I have added winches, but not the turning cheek block aft shown in my plans. Someday I will.

In the meantime I have removed the original 12" tracks and padeyes (which turned to aluminum dust), replacing them with 4 foot long tracks on the cabintop for the 110 working jib. She seems to point well with the track inboard on the cabintop edge.

I could be really confused here since this is my first boat and I seem to mislay names, dates and other things more often lately but.....

I've been sailing my Commander using those short tracks on the cabin top for the working jib. I looked at the picture on the front of the Commander sales brochure and that's how that one is rigged. The jib sheet comes outside the front, lower shroud and inside the next two to get to the track and block. This may be a different use for the cabin top tracks than on an Ariel. These tracks are at least 3 feet closer to the bow on a Commander than on an Ariel due to the tradeoff between cabin space and cockpit coming out in the cockpits favor. The boat really points well as a result. It makes up for not having a traveler although I imagine that would still help some.

The tracks next to the cockpit I use for the sheets on the monster Genoa (150 I think). The sheet goes out to the block on the outside of the shrouds then forward to the winch. I also have the fiberglass stands for the winches. I wish I had the massive block of wood with the cleat on top. Tying off sheets to the cleat on the outside of the coaming when the rail is down in a breeze can be a challenge.

+ Reply to Thread