Thread: gooseneck sources

Threaded View

So here is my lastest version of the installation of my new Rig Rite gooseneck toggle.

1. I found some 5/16 bronze bushings at Orchared Supply Hardware.

2. I pressed them into the 5/16 holes in the goosenck slide (see bottom photo).

3. I then cut the bushings to length with a hack saw and flat file so that the gooseneck toggle and two stainless steel washers just fit between them. (See top photo...Please note that the lock nut on the 1/4 inch bolt was not tighened when I took this photo, so the assembly is loose as a goose..neck.)

4. The bushings are held in place on the inside by the washers on either side of the toggle and by a stainless steel flat washer and the hex head of the 1/4 inch bolt above and a stainless steel flat washer, lock washer and lock nut below.

5. The aluminum gooseck toggle is protected from and insolated from the bronze bushings by the stainless steel washers. I am not sure whether the outside washers and lock washer are really necessary, but since that was the way the original installation of the old gooseneck toggle was, I duplicated it. I do like the idea of the washers being in contact with the bushings rather than the bolt head and lock nut.

6. In addition to peventing the smaller 1/4 inch bolt from wobbling in the 5/16 inch holes, the 1.5 inch high gooseneck toggle will no longer rattle up and down in the much larger gooseneck slide space formerly available to it. Of course there's three kinds of metal in there, but hey they are all moving parts. I cut the bushings from the same piece of 5/16 :1/4 bronze bushing stock. The stock cost less than $3.00. I have enough left from that one piece to make two more bushings.

In the upper photo, you are looking at the slot in the gooseneck toggle. This slot would be facing the mast if the boom were straight back on the boat's center line. The 1/4 inch bolt is visible through the slot.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Scott Galloway; 09-30-2004 at 01:14 AM.
    Scott