After a bit of a delay, Geoff writes:

I have been too busy lately. I bought a 22 seater bus at Easter, took the seats out and put a "fit out" in it. She's a beaut, 92 Toyota Coaster long wheelbase, 6 cylinder diesel motor, fully air conditioned, headroom and comfort!

At the moment I am parked in Bayfield Forest, just north of Yeppoon. Had a swim in the creek, sat around the campfire. No phone signal, no radio, no power. It's been bliss for a few days.

Heading back to civilisation and the bloody boat yard tomorrow (or not HA!). I'm working on my own on the boat now, can't get anyone to take it on. One bloke "spat the dummy" and went home after 2 days. The next bloke worked well for 3 days, but I couldn't get him started on the 4th day. I wasn't any better myself, so we both went home. HA!

At the moment, my jobs are to put fillets of epoxy bog around all the staunchion pads under the side decks inside, sand smooth and paint. Cut about 200 bolts off because they are too long. I'm painting the cockpit lockers, battery shelves have been built to take 200 amp hour batteries - one port, one starboard, lazarette needs painting as does under the cockpit. I still have to put a shelf in for the engine starter battery, and build a dashboard accross the doghouse above the companionway hatch to house the compass on the centreline, engine dials and controls to port, depth sounder, log and GPS to starboard. Install the engine and rudder, wire her up, do the plumbing and go sailing -- NO WORRIES ME OLD COBBER.

Honestly, I reckon it's the hardest and most frustrating task I've ever set myself. But, the little darling is worth it, she's a hell of a boat.

[Second installment coming tomorrow]