Thread: A-228 - GEOFF's AUSSIE PHOTO GALLERY

Threaded View

Brisbane known for its white water, Goeff? One of these days me and 338 be down to git some!
    338's rudder tube is impressively molded into a cone shape where it charges thru the hull, that's a treat. Where it goes thru into the cockpit, that's an unfinished story. I'm about to add some cone shape to it of mishmash and x-mat. You may have thru hulls for your aft cockpit drains - 338 gets 2 1/2" glass tubes directly glassed in, like the rudder tube - hence the elaborate conical build up especially at the underwater entrances. This won't be a whimpy installation.

In the beginning, the cockpit being a floater, I worried about that tube goiing thru the deck - now the whole cockpit is welded to the bulkheads it floated between. It will be further immobilized with the two forenaft bulkheads between the bottom and the hull. Looks like Uhuru has the same.

I've also laminated a transvers beam and glued it in under the bridge deck against the bulkhead. After taking the icebox out I cut a similar hole in the port side for access to the under cockpit area. Somebody is going to remind us how important this bulkhead is, if not yours truly.
    At least on the port side where I think a mini quarter berth is cool there will be a fat rib going down the hull, incorporated into the berth and continuing down into the keel. (This is a lot of unsupported 'flat' laminate down here I'm unhappy with.) Probably add a couple layers of x-mat - but keep the space essentially hollow for bilge water capacity.

At the moment it looks like the port lazarette on 338 will remain cockpit accessible. It looks like Geoff's outside stowage is the way aft laz.

[I've ordered a 'watertight' Anchor Hatch for the cockpit well deck and will mount the batteries in an open topped tray down under where the BETA shouldda been. Had a tuff email exchange with the Hatch salesperson when I asked him just how waterproof watertight was.
    "All commercial boats have bildge pumps in all areas under decks...
    ..."you will have a leak ..if a small rock or a grain of sand or a fish scale gets lodged between the gasket and the frame." Being a dumass pleasure boater I better put in a pump and sweep up the rocks. Just kidding! They have a flush hatch that fits the floor and will custom fit 3 grp 27s for unimpeded straight up lift out. Englund Marine Supply.

Does anybody know why I need three AGMs?]

Last edited by ebb; 02-21-2003 at 08:21 AM.