+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rant: The fallacy of big boats being safer

Rant: The fallacy of big boats being safer

I enjoy inviting beginning sailors to take a sail along the coast on my Ariel. Her simplicity, ruggedness, and forgiving nature is an ideal learning platform. However, I have on several occasions been confronted by the comment: "Oh my God! That boat is too small to sail in the Pacific." Below is an open letter to one such comment. Of course, I'm better off not taking such landlubbers and Bay Sailors aboard, since they invariably spend the entire time barfing over the side in 3 foot swells. But, I thought I might share my comments about the false equation that size equals safety.

----------------
    "Thanks for the info on your boat and words of encouragement. I was looking go 34'+. Your boat is a beauty but I've never been in a 25' boat. Ive been on 27' once. It felt small to me and seemed like you can just reach out and touch the water. Kind of scary to be so low and close to water."
    It's a common misconception held by non-sailors that the size of a boat somehow affects its safety. The Titanic was a big boat. What sinks boats is not a lack of size, but instead a lack of good seamanship - and poor maintenance. The Bounty, which was a big boat, sank in 2012 because of both a lack of prudent seamanship on the part of the skipper, and poor maintenance. You can read more about that here: http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2014/mab1403.pdf.

As far as the ocean is concerned -- ALL boats are small boats. There have been innumerable cases of people having to abandon their "big safe boat" that foundered in severe weather - in order to survive in their lifeboat - which was a tiny fraction the size. Big boats are more comfortable -- but not safer.

Most of the sailboats in the San Francisco Bay are trapped in the Bay, and can't venture outside the Gate on anything but the most benign of days. They have limited offshore capability because they are fin-keeled, high-sided, under-ballasted boats designed for day sailing and racing around buoys. In ocean conditions, those boats require continuous attention by full crews to keep them from foundering. You reach a point of diminishing returns where you cannot carry enough provisions on board to supply the large crew needed to handle such boats on an ocean crossing. And some modern racing boats have all the offshore capabilities of a fiberglass outhouse. Most of the "big" sailboats in fact never leave the dock. They are platforms for parties.

The ideal boat, if one intends to actually sail it in the ocean, is the smallest boat one can get away with. A smaller boat can be properly handled by its smaller crew, where they can apply their seamanship skills to good effect. If you double the size of a boat, you quadruple the forces of physics on that boat -- while you only increase its hull speed by 41%. You will rapidly reach a point where - in order for the boat to be built as strong as its "little" cousin - it would be so heavy that it would not float. The largest size a fiberglass boat can attain without the designer having to compromise strength is about 30 feet. Beyond that size, one has to switch to a steel hull, exotic materials like carbon fiber, or internal bracing (that's vulnerable to being overstressed) to retain the same strength.

And yes, I can dangle my fingers in the water over the side of my boat. That's called "low freeboard" -- it's a good thing -- it reduces the detrimental effect the wind has on pushing the hull around where I don't want it to go. I have been in gales and sea states that you never want to experience, and I have never had a wave come aboard the boat from the side. It was very uncomfortable for me in those conditions, but the boat sustained no damage whatsoever.

I also have a 32 foot Westsail in Marina del Rey. She is one of the most seaworthy vessels ever constructed, and the interior has the space of a studio apartment. But she's not up to sailing shorthanded off the shore of Northern California. Which is why I keep her in the much milder waters of Los Angeles.

I suggest you read one of the best books on boat design: Seaworthiness, the Forgotten Factor (http://www.amazon.com/Seaworthiness-.../dp/1888671092). Actually, you only have to read the first chapter if you are short on time. The author will clue you in on the design fallacies of modern "day sailer" boats -- 95% of the boats you see in the Bay.
    "Length, size or displacement do not equal safety. Seamanship, preparation, forethought and flexibility equal safety."
    "Security and comfort do not equal freedom and adventure."

Lin Pardey, http://yachtpals.com/cruising-boat-7079

-Patrick
    Last edited by pbryant; 10-14-2014 at 02:05 PM.

great rant

Will you take me sailing next time I go west to visit my sister in San Anselmo? I can't promise I won't barf over the side, but I liked your rant very much.

Jerry
    Ariel 417.

Just drop me a message Jerry. You are absolutely welcome!

Patrick, with all due respect your Ariel is too small to go out the gate. Now if you upgrade to a Triton that would be a different story.

Blossom
    Triton 106
    Alameda, CA

Hummm. Do you mean I've been sailing all this time in the Pacific out of Half Moon Bay in a boat that's too small? Attached is a map of my voyages in the last 60 days. I've been sailing nearly every week in the Pacific for the last 3 years. I guess I must just be lucky.

I'm sure Lin and Larry Pardey, who circumnavigated the Earth - including going 'round Cape Horn - in their 29 foot Taleisin... will appreciate the warning!

I'm not knocking Tritons. Tritons are very fine boats. And a bigger boat is certainly more comfortable with gentler motion - it's easier to get the ladies to come along 'cause they're less likely to get seasick...
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by pbryant; 10-14-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Patrick, I'm sure Triton106 was kidding. Obviously, the Ariel is a later design by Alberg where he improved on all the short comings of his first go-around with the Triton.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Hey Mike, I read that you are sailing a boat even smaller boat than the Ariel, a Sea Sprite 23, for the time being. What do you have to do to prevent your crew from falling off such a small boat?

Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post
    Patrick, I'm sure Triton106 was kidding. Obviously, the Ariel is a later design by Alberg where he improved on all the short comings of his first go-around with the Triton.
    That is the way I have always understood it...

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Quote Originally Posted by Triton106 View Post
    Hey Mike, I read that you are sailing a boat even smaller boat than the Ariel, a Sea Sprite 23, for the time being. What do you have to do to prevent your crew from falling off such a small boat?
    I don't take crew.

After my little foray with the SS23, however, I did become quite infatuated with the function and looks of the fractional rig and spent all last winter with a spreadsheet trying to figure out how to put a Triton mast on an Ariel to add more sail area with a smaller headsail...
    Mike

Back to Patrick's rant - this thread made me think of this book:

Name:  Sopranino.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  15.8 KB

< Link on Amazon >

I read it last winter and really enjoyed it. Two guys who built a 20 foot boat to sail from England to New York back in 1951 just to prove it could be done. Good read!
    Mike

Mike wrote -

After my little foray with the SS23, however, I did become quite infatuated with the function and looks of the fractional rig and spent all last winter with a spreadsheet trying to figure out how to put a Triton mast on an Ariel to add more sail area with a smaller headsail...
    There, another reason to upgrade to a Triton...

+ Reply to Thread