Dear Mike,

Thanks for your comments.

The intent of my response was to Janice's post was to offer some clarification in answer to her question as to why ones tiller head fitting might lift off the shaft.

You might provide Janice with the reference to the slick modification in which you or Commander Pete used a cutless bearing on one of your rudder shafts. I don't remember specifically whose fix that was, or what thread has the information on that one, but as I recall,it was your design.

My rudder shaft bearing is as per the design in the manual, and it is identical to the spare new bearing that I have which is also as designed. There was no observable wear when inspected by eye in any case,a nd I compared the used one to the new nd there appeared to be no wear or diffeence between the two in comparison either.

The tiller head is not moving against the shaft. Although unwise electrolysis-wise, my Pepsi can shim is a perfect solution to the problem that my shaft was at some point replaced with a new one-piece shaft that runs from the tiller head fitting to the rudder shoe, but may be of a slightly smaller dimension than the original. In any case, the top of that shaft and the key look as if they were new, with no wear. The whole assembly is quite tight and secure, although I need to find a bronze shim to replace the aluminum Pepsi can shim.

The slight play in the tiller therefore probably results from some slop below someplace, the cause of which may become apparent when I haul the boat and inspect the rudder, but a professional diver with considerable experience from a reputable firm inspected my rudder below and the shoe and pronounced it fit, and he and I put the rudder through a bit of a test while he measured the play below, and pronounced that I had no reason to be concerned. My bottom paint is even looking good, but I do need to haul so that I can change out the head through-hull valves. I am not feeling frisky enough to do that in the water, and I want to take a look at the hull below the water line in any case. I will inspect the rudder and gudgeon in person on the hard when I haul.

There is, of course, also the possibility that the upper bearing has some space between it and the inside of the rudder tube, but it slipped into place very snuggly, so that is not likely to be the case.

Again I notice no play whatsoever at sea. The boat handles marvelously. I have had it out in 20 knots of wind and ocean swell, and sailed at all points of sail under those conditions with no adverse effects.