+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: EBB's PHOTO GALLERY THREAD

Hybrid View

Didgital what? We ain't got no stinkun........
    Actually I have a Canon Powershot to use now, but I'm still trying to figure out how to wind it up?

Wonderful meeting Tim, and he's OK with Indian cuisine. Continental chap. He's the guy that scored 'Che' from Adam.
    Not sure what he's up to, but he may be wanting to do some custom on her.
    Talking bout some serious trailer cruising.

Tim came by to pickup up Little Gull's tiller fitting to compare with Che's which is in the water and sailing. When he brought it back he said he was glad he compared the two.

Seems the rudderhead on his shaft is wider. It looks similar, but obviously is a different pattern.
    Makes me wonder if Che is unique and has had a DFO change over, or if Pearson changed the pattern sometimes on Ariels and Commanders? As Admiral Bill points out, there were/are a number of 1" shafts out there in different class boats.

For instance: Tritons, both East Coast and West Coast, being larger and heavier may have had beefier rudder fittings. One of them may have graduated to Che. Or half of one of them. Che's problem is, as we have seen in Tim's post, that the tiller half of the fitting - the tillerhead - is missing.

A strong feature of the rudder fitting common to the Ariel (I assume) is that the hinged pieces are essentially a tight machined fit, which cancels play in the parts.
    The Edson nickel plated backup I have is much sloppier than the old Pearson clunker - even after four decades of continual use and abuse. From that standpoint alone, even though the still available Edson 1" rudder fitting is WAY prettier, I would not recommend it as an upgrade or substitute for the A/C.
    Imco as usual.
    Last edited by ebb; 06-06-2008 at 08:29 AM.

I'm starting a collection so we can purchase a community digital camera for this forum's members. We will mail it to those we feel are not posting enough pictures. Included will be a detailed description explaining how to use it and what constitutes a "good shot". When we are satisfied with the amount of pictures taken and posted, you will be notified as to who to send the camera to next. Who's with me?

July 29, 2008

It was a great day for a photo shoot at the San Rafael Yacht Harbor – Sunny with temps in the low 70's. Ebb had the “building” housing the Little Gull open when we arrived. Here’s a challenge; find the boat in this view . . .
    Attached Images  

It’s been some time since we last visited Little Gull, and although there is progress, it’s more subtle than before. The "big" visual change is the terrific topsides paint job. The finish is so mirror like that the ground clutter is reflected in the transom. Multiple coats were sprayed on to build up the finish, to the point that you can feel a significant ridge between the topside white and the water line bronze.
    Attached Images  

Waterline Work!

Here’s the water line taped onto the hull using the “paint can and string” method. The bits of blue tape represent original lines and, well Ebb will need to explain.
    Attached Images      

That it does, Bill, upon further investigation. Thx for pointing that out..

Doesn't look like there is a slot in there...
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

boom Ballenger

Old boom dimensions are
    3 1/2" X 2 3/8" weighing approx 16 1/2#
    New boom dimensions are
    4 7/16" X 2 7/8" weighing in at 22 1/2#*

The new boom is a single extrusion with a groove on top, 3 incised reference lines. One on the bottom and one at 90 on each side. Makes putting on eyes, fairleads, cleats a breeze (eg: lazy jacks.) The scantlings of the new boom are a result of my being uncomfortable with the skinny old boom used for loosefoot and hard vang attachment. Not that anything untoward to old booms with modern alterations has happened so far as I know. I feel some redundancy is needed for cruising. There's a price in weight for that, but I feel now the new boom matches the mast in proportional strength, and aesthetics.

The boom is attached with a normal gooseneck fitting (not in pic) to the mast. The long oblique cutout has jammers that can be used for at mast reefing - or reef lines can be led down to the base (with the jam cleats deactivated) and led aft on the cabin top. (#264 top)

The outboard end with the smaller cutout has the clew line in the center sheeve of three with reefing lines entering the boom on either side. The reefing lines are deadended with simple loops around the spar. They would go up to cringles on the leech, down to sheeves in the end of the boom, then forward inside to exit at the mast. I don't know what the purchase is on the internal clew cable. How one pulls maintenance on the internal block system remains to be seen. (264 lower)

If I wanted to lead the luffcringle lines aft that could be done along with the leech reef lines. (Along with the 'continuous reef line' that gathers the flap of the sail and bundles it.) Not sure if that is a good idea to run it all back on the cabintop anyway as it's probably better to use hooks on the gooseneck or something else like small tackles?` Hope to find out one-o-these-days. Depends on what the conditions are and what control the helm has while shortening sail. Cruisers might want to have the trisail ready at the mast and that's another set of lines that may not go to the cockpit.

Exceptionally made spar with fantastic 'coin stack' aluminum welding on the inserts. Has a soft browngold flushed annodised silver metallic finish. It's really beautyful! The choice of finish was that or no finish to allow painting. Painting over new annodize is a complicated process and screws up the annodize. When I get to painting the mast have to try to get something close to the boom finish. It reminds me of clear coat powder-coatings. My old Dodge truck has failing clearcoat over "Driftwood" that changes from a warm silvery brown in the sun to a cool grey in the shade or when its overcast.

The 2006 cost from Ballenger Spars in Watsonville was under $900. I was the transport. At the moment there seems to be no reason why one could not carry the original boom along as a spare or for wing-and-wing, and with the spinnaker pole, be able to rig legs too for the boat (see Baldwin's Atom) when needed at the ends of the earth.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
    *on a ten dollar Sunbeam scale
    Last edited by ebb; 12-14-2006 at 11:38 AM.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    I am soooo jealous

By the way, you might want to put some teff gel where the stainless cotter pin goes through the aluminum gooseneck. Mine froze up after only eight months. Had to cut it with a hack saw and drill it out

Thumbs up Tough Nell

C'pete,
    There's an island out there in the Pacific named MILLIWAYS where it's always Saturday afternoon and there's always a nice cool breeze.*
    Next to a barefoot beach bar called Ursa Minor Beta there's an annex which actually is a well stocked marine store with perpetual 60's prices on everything.
    Marvin's there of course, as always, but you'll probably find some of your best friends and old acquaintances getting some gear or having a beer. Brion Toss,

>google< Brion Toss Yacht Riggers Fairleads Newsletter
    http://www.briontoss.com/education/a.../miscjan04.htm

he might be around too having some turnbuckles tightened - or flaking a schooner's chain bucket. Anyway, since he's here, take a look at his ultimate multi-pocket traveling vest**, which you should fill up while you are on the island.
    Where ever you voyage in this universe, you'll have the right tool to get you out of trouble.
    And one of them, as C'pete reminds us, is Tefgel - keep it in the same pocket as your pink pearl.

Happy solstice you old f... salts!
    Last edited by ebb; 12-14-2006 at 11:44 AM.

ebb:There comes a time when an object is taken beyond functional form or craft, where form and function become secondary, and the object enters into something that is recognized by most as art. Your ideas and hard work have created, in my opinion, a wonderful work of art. I have gotten a lot of pleasure and a surprize or two following your progress. Well done. I can't wait to see the final form that your boat will take. More photographs please.
    Last edited by Robert Lemasters; 01-23-2007 at 10:39 AM.

Little Gull?? Maybe I should name mine "Damn Pidgeon" for the bird in the paint booth during primer, to say he was high is an understament, but he's gone now, yesterday before topcoat he was flightless in the booth, I ensured he didnt screw up topcat as he/she did the primer.

Sorry for the hijack
    #97 "Absum!"

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Well done ebb, a fitting name for a fine boat. Saved from extinction

Have to get over to Danmark one of these days

http://www.valdemarslot.dk/index.php?page=55

Hey BonnieJean! whot hijack?

C'pete,
    Verry Danish, advertising your big slot with postagestamp sized views. Oh so genteel and modest. On the site's menubar, I see there are no Activities listed, and there is also no News. What's not happnin, dude. In the Cafe' you can buy a Pretzel - or a Hotdog or some Pizza - WOW. Wonder who the tourists are? Danes? Japanese? Croatians?

Guess my dought and me saw the "big game" mausoleum befor they spiffed it up. Being a kingdom the size of Maryland would make the proportionate banging of Little Gull a rilly appropriate event there. Guess the little seagull got nabbed in an early tourist trap.

I won't go to Danmark again unless I am with somebody very Danish (I'm only danish in name, I'm a redneck from Long Island), who could show me around. Might go to Norway. But if I was going anywhere scandanavian, I'd visit the Faroes, Iceland and Greenland. Check out Faroese puffin fricassee - and their pilotwhale pudding. Definitely get over to Greenland befor it melts away.

But, Pete, you have an eye for the ridiculous, a better eye for the funny and absurd than anybody I've seen. You'd have a field day in scandanavia. Hope I get invited to the slide show after your trip.
    Last edited by ebb; 05-31-2007 at 10:30 AM.

Speaking of boat names...

As of 10 May, 2007, Ariel 205 became FORMERLY known as Sirocco. She is now S/V Elii Henry, hailing port, Kailua, HI. Her new name went on on Memorial Day and her US registration number will be on in a couple of days.

Congrats

Well, A W L R I G H T !
    Elii - with two 'i's ?
    Who be Elii Henry, joe?

Where you putting her name.... stern or bow?

Where you going to "permanently affix" your 3" letters and numbers?

PIX!!!!! on the Gallery pages!
    Last edited by ebb; 05-31-2007 at 06:53 AM.

+ Reply to Thread