Thread: EBB's PHOTO GALLERY THREAD

Threaded View

Update 12/06

The side decks are looking great, up to snuff, and almost a fair line. It's amazing how unlevel the fore and aft run of the deck is. And how different the two sides are in fair.

I've decided against the hard dodger windscreen. Too heavy. I need expertise in much lighter building tech.

In that regard, I spent a day making a paper and cardboard scale model of a foredeck dinghy/pram for the Ariel. The idea is that the transom will partially be cut away and fit over the trunk of the Ariel just forward of the mast. That gives this 6 1/2' pram a wide stern indeed. And a nearly 5' beam! But looking at the model from different angles, it does have a nice sheer and nice curvey wales, has moderate rocker and a nice curvey multichine deadrise. Greenwater over the bow friendly upsidedown. A canyon rightsideup. Bet it'd hold a baby elephant, but will it row, will it sail, will it motor?

See now about putting together a fullsize doorskin on even 1/4" luan model.
    I know it's a lot of work, but I could do it right in the house if I can keep the landlady at bay....

Like to see how a fullscale model looks in its place on the boat, it may be worth the effort.

And I'm curious about self-rescue aspects that a hard dinghy has going for it. Flotation can easily be worked in on a dinghy this wide. Yeah, Right! But can it float fully flooded with a man in it??? No. Yet I'd like to check it out in the estate pool here. Because the ultimate self-rescue aspect is whether you can climb into it from the water. That means putting 250# plus on the stern or a side and not pull the 60# dinghy under!!! Put that in your hat!
    Last edited by ebb; 12-04-2006 at 09:59 AM.