Tim,
Stupidly didn't weigh the hutch befor install. Fairly light, but you and me could both stand on it. With added backing plates the sides could be used to partial support a structure that has a base on the deck. Compression strength is built into the rounded shape. but a pointy whomp might hole it, it's about 1/4" in most places, the lid is reinforced with pvc foam, the water channels meant to add 'rib' strength to the opening.

In thinking about this conundrum, It is my feeling that the structure for the travelor should have all of its strength from the base, the feet.

Like Mike's Contessa example (Thanks!), even tho it is obvious rigid, it is able to take the shock of a jibe independantly of, say, the coamings if it had been designed that way.

On an Ariel the end of the boom is at the end of the cockpit. I agree, it is the #1 location for the boom sheet. I'm not sure the hutch creates a convenient seat back/arm rest, I mean I'm not sure if one can sit back there while sailing, but I angled the hutch with that in mind, not thinking that the travelor might have to be there! Therefore in the interests of heads and tails the travelor has to be further back and/or higher.

The Contessa seems to have the sheet purchase at an angle to the end of the boom. The sheet seems to go forward at an angle to the boom. How much of an angle is allowable? I'm aware the travelor at near 90 degrees below the boom is the way it is often designed.

A boom gallows under a boom that's 6 and a half feet off the cockpit sole is TALL! Could be a sliding one? But to lift the OB out of the well with the 'crane' with block and tackle will take a lot of height. So maybe my lifting gear will have to be separate (and carried stowed) like already designed by Gene and Garhauer.

So, now, if the travelor bridge is half way back to get it out of the way, it then will be right over the well.

What happens if the travelor is mounted virtually at the stern? It would would be a bridge maybe nearly 12" high. Is this kopecetic, my friends, is this a solution? Thanks!