Thread: EBB's PHOTO GALLERY THREAD

Threaded View

5 MINUTE EPOXY - 1 OZ DOUBLE SYRINGE

We've used this forever. Glue mock-ups into 3D models. Recently in the hardware
    went to the blister-pac wall to get a couple of those syringes of usually clear 2-part
    you squeeze out small amounts and quickly mix together. The Devcon's are gone.
    I bought the last one.
    We have to cut the nozzle ends off with the pocket knife. Never sure where to cut,
    and the cut is never precise, And since the nozzles are placed close together on
    the tube, the double stop plug is small and hard to handle. Easily get them mixed,
    weld the cap on. One side was always clear and runny, the other is thicker, has
    a bit of color and harder to squeeze a matching equal worm.
    Always try to mix with a flexible 1" putty-knife. If the weather is hot you have 2
    of the 5 minutes.
    The more liquid mixes get more runny when they heat up chemically. You have 2
    seconds to save your mixing knife from near permanent encapsulation. The runny
    stuff really is useless for model building. But use it anyway because you don't use
    pressure to get a bond. It comes so conveniently packaged. Like icecreme on a stick.

During the same week went back to the same blister-pac display only to find the
    last Devcon was really the last. Suddenly, now replaced with LocTite ounce syringes,
    none 5 minute. One 'extended time', which I got, and later read the package only
    to find it was a 1 hour set, 3 to get hard. Plenty of time for the glue to run out..
    Could not get the cap on the nozzles.

And, I will never buy the Grizzly 5-minute again -- because the cap is tiny and not
    sided as most are to plug the right hole without a magnifying glass. I couldn't
    get the plug in nor over the holes -- wiped off the mess with 91% isopropyl alcohol
    and stuck bluetape over the end. Works just fine, but it has to stick to the plastic
    film label wrap. HOWEVER, IT'S ALL OVER NOW, BABY..

PC SUPER EPOXY
    Into this picture steps PC-Super Epoxy. PC has been around for 100 years. Not
    known for 5-minute glues, altho they have a bunch of glues you might look into.*
    The 1/2oz-1/2oz double tube I'm about to describe has no wrap around plastic
    label that slides off when you pull back the plunger. You have to do this little
    rule after you squeeze, everytime, Sucking the liquid back with the plunger
    keeps things neat. P.C.S.E has no film label wrapped on the tube.
    * one of which is a cold weather 5-minute epoxy!

Most surprising: the two nozzles are ALREADY OPEN. - you are instructed to
    grasp the tab at the end and twist 1/4 turn. pull the stopper out of the recess,
    voila, beautiful precise clean holes.
    More: the glue is a paste. Both sides are the same consistency, worms extrude
    equally. one is whitish, one is bluish, mix until one translucent mass, you
    are clued when you've mixed enough. Since it has body it's easy to control the mix.
    Use the mixing knife to mound it on a joint edge, lay/prop pieces together, no drip,
    no sag.
    Pull back slightly on the plunger. (Have a Q-tip handy to pluck out any dribble.)
    Put the stopper back in the tube and twist lock-it. Nobody else has this. It's
    beautiful. But you see, since it is a soft paste, it's not going to dribble out at all.

And not lastly, the set time is extended 15 minutes. Quite the right extension for
    a relaxed episode, depending on the temp.
    It's MadeInAmerica, flag and all. There are excellent non-political reasons why
    these days that's a good thing. At the hardware, most of the tools come from
    China. You want the jobs here at a living wage.

Bit more: the clear plastic blister covering the syringe on the card is very thin
    making it easy to slice the tool out of the package. Often a dangerous fight with
    a utility knife.
    Altogether a 5-minute epoxy that's really unique, thoughtful, intelligent, in that
    it's the way 5-minute epoxy always should have been presented. Finally!
    As it says across the top of the package: FIX YOUR THINGS PC

Ebb is in no way connected with this company. I'm trying to celebrate an old
    product that finally has put a bunch of consumer friendly ideas to work to make
    it almost entirely new. You may find the product wanting. I thought the package
    showed a lot of real innovation, all the useful little things, all coming together
    in a fine upgrade of an old product.. what a relief!!
    Last edited by ebb; 07-01-2021 at 08:12 AM.