Thread: EBB's PHOTO GALLERY THREAD

Threaded View

tanks alot

Capt. km#3. I had a monel tank up there in the Vee. I took it out per the tips in the Manual and recycled it. This is now where the chain locker is being constructed in 338.

So I moved the watertank(s) to both sides of the remaining V-berth. Laborously made two 1/4" luan ply models in the spaces (including barrelstaving the side along the hull.) Instead of a triangular section tank I glassed in a narrow foot for the tanks to rest on. So the tanks are sort of 4 sided. Plus ends.

(I figured the tanks to be about 20 gals each. That 300 pounds. a considerable weight up forward. That's bulkhead to blkhd under the original plywood berth tops.))

I then set about trying to find someone to make the damn things in polyethylene or polypropolene. Made up kits of photos and measurements and places for fittings. Not one single return. These custom guys who hot air weld the plastic can only think in right angles. The curved side of the tank, I think,must have insulted them.

I'm going to have to use the models for forms myself to make them out of vinylester and glass. This is probably not a problem, but I understand is very labor intensive - I can use the time elsewhere on the refit. One can still get tanks made from monel. At $600 a pop for the poly I got on one quote that didn't pan out I may ask a welding shop how many thousands a monel one goes for. Stainless is not currently a choice because of rust at the welds. But I will research that. It's also added weight. A glass one will no doubt weigh more than a metal one.

I really don't lnow as I haven't made any tanks befor. It just seemed easier to pay thru the nose for a hand crafted one than do it myself.

I thought the holding tank could go up forward if and when I get to it but don't know for sure. I'm putting in a new watertight bulkhead right where the watertank and the sanipooper used to be. The Theteford head will be right there where it has to be between the V-berths untill I upscale down the line.

Yes, and I'm going to have to be monitered real close here by you guys when I do get to the plumbing and electrics!
    Last edited by ebb; 11-14-2002 at 04:45 PM.