Thread: EBB's PHOTO GALLERY THREAD

Threaded View

skenes with pains

Mike, Good BuckAlgonquin source there. Thanks.
    Tony, imco you definitely can mess with bronze.
    Can file and grind hard edges rounder and buff them back without sneezing.
    I wouldn't try it with stainless.

Thing I discover is it is too easy to think up an upgrade.
    When I get into the new project, IT takes over. I stop thinking. Little problems happen.
    And the unretrievable seconds disappear into months and years.
    Tim Lackey's skenes are almost perfect. All he did was get lucky and bolt them in place.
    There is nothing he had to do to make them better.

The HA Rostand shenes are fine for casual tying up.
    Without a straight-on view of the fitting the dimensions can't be extrapolated. But they seem rather flat. (While Mike's Buckaroonie looks quite round inside like Tim's.) Casting looks strong and handsome.
    BUT there isn't much room in the Skene Bow Chock for a chaffing wrap on the line, maybe the 6" size has to be used.
    I'm convinced that warps and rodes should be at least 5/8" six or eight braid specific anchor line.
    And the type of chaffing stuff should be something that disapates heat and lets in cooling waterm - not sure what that stuff is.
    It isn't hard garden hose but something more porus and probably thicker.
    The bollard looks OK - in the straight on picture - but what happens to the space between the horns when you turn the fitting? If a line is coming off a cleat at an angle to the chock, how much
    of a twist in the chock cancels out the space for the line, wrapped line? The line can't make a jog through the horns. Has to be fair.

I'm serious about decent leads off the boat and I may have to take the TIME
    to make a clay model from the photos because vendors don't ever give compleat dimensionss of fixtures. Probably because the manufacturer doesn't think e nwant it either.

Have a picture on the kichen wall that came from the cruisersforum site years ago.
    http://www.cruisersforum.com/attachm...0/cleat_origin..
    That won't come up, but it is a cleat/chock combo that is attached at the RAIL.
    The cleat is on the inside, lower than the chock, and sideways, horizonal with the deck - the chock is on top of the rail. It is a single molded bronze fitting. The base of the cleat turns the corner up onto the rail and becomes the rounded throat of the chock. Nice. Sculpting coud be bollarde/rounded better.

The rail on the A/C is probably too short for this fitting from a larger boat - but it's clever. If you are onboard with the concept,
    our rail (with maybe a wood cap) could have a nice rounded bronze skene-chock on it - and a strong cleat mounted somehow very close with the chock but bolted through the deck. Wanna try it? Problem is the pull is UP on the bolts rather than in shear as in the mystery dual fitting.

The mystery fitting is shown with a rope eye around the cleat led thru the open chock.
    The plaits of the eye splice are overboard, free, and not rubbing on anything.
    No wad of chaffing gear is needed except for, say, leathering the eye maybe
    because there is no line to stretch and wear from mooring cleat to a rail chock like we normally have.
    What's great is that the line is instantly available by slipping the eye or undoing turns off the cleat.
    It's impossible to imagine the line crawling out of this fitting. Somebody was thinking here!

The A/C bow could have nice rounded bronze chock/cleats if you can find them. Warps could alternately lead from inboard mooring cleats or samson post to opposite sides: EG port cleat to starboard chock, to get a better fairer lead off the boat.
    Last edited by ebb; 11-24-2011 at 08:22 AM.