Thread: EBB's PHOTO GALLERY THREAD

Threaded View

Exclamation ....thanks!

Have a archaeologist/writer daughter somewhere on the planet.
    But you guys is family.

"Subtle progress." Bill is being nice, I've been remiss, or missing at the boat. Maybe like C'Pete I really want to 'only work on the boat in April and May.'

310) Following faint remnants of what looked like an old factory incised line led to this apparent anomaly evident in Bill's shots.
    What line it is/was
    certainly was the last line up I could find on both sides of the hull - but it had no sheer or bend in it that I could see.
    And therefore I assumed it was NOT the top of the boot. I mean would the factory INCISE the boot stripe on a boat?
    After this horse had left the barn (Awlgripping the topsides) I went back to Alberg's drawing board (pg 144 Manual)
    The long blue tape delineates a compromise waterline. It leaves the extraordinary width in the bow between the bottom of the topsides I chose and the apparent new raised waterline. What a shock!
    (338's bronze bottom is not intended to leach copper - at least I hope not! I added copper powder to a number of epoxy barrier coats and while it may help deter growths the intent is now to paint on regular anti-foul before launch. I have planned that the boot-top was to be painted on the bronze barrier.)
    The short tape tics on the centertline show the 'designed line' and the 'raised waterline.' The long tape is my 'adjusted compromise' line. Load line? Anomalies are unsolvable problems.
    My brain is tired of figuring out what the hell is going on with these waterline!

311) 3rd shot of series shows the huge sweep of the boot-top as it meets the CloudWhite topsides. Seven inch kick to the boot! The curvey sweep is a trick of perspective. The line actually is eyeball straight - and that was the reason I choose to accept it as a water line. Assume is the mother of all f...ups.
    Note the two tape-tics again: the lower one is Alberg, next up the original bottom of his drawn boot-top. On top of that would be the master's boot-top sweep. The official width of this boot stripe changes on different renditions in the Manual. But the widest stripe may be on the sail plan (pg 146) - and the 'Freeboard' drawing of the Commander (pg 149b) The present owner's compromise waterline is the long tape. What color for this boot? I'm thinking cloud white!

312) Coamings. We have progressed beyond this stage . The mahogany has been surfaced out of rough-sawn stock, and accurate pine patterns created to transfer lines to the new coamings.
    Blue tape on port coaming block is a lower-to line.
    The cabin sides took a bit of filling/fairing to get them FLAT for the taller blocks as the pint-sized blocks cinched up on the hollow cabin sides caused them to be considerably caved inward. Hand holding the original doorskin 'try' pattern for Bill to show you what the new coamings might look like. Pretty tall, huh!

314) This hatch garage is meant to be removable while the dodger remains in place. Toyed with the idea of having a dorade inspired vent in front of where the sliding hatch stops inside. Center hole under the hood could enter the cabin with air supplied by cowls mounted directly on the hood near the lower corners.
    2nd shot shows a molded overlap that will be glued to the hood. Not intended to be caulked, but any water that gets in should come back out through weepholes. Right.
    3rd shot. Side lights in dodger should provide good visibility forward while sitting.
    Waterways for the compainionway slide are original but made taller because of the redesign. (Those slots on the side of the opening.) The slide will be flat carbonate with no side turndowns like the original hatch. But glue-on drip-strips may be added on the underside of the plastic for anti-drip insurance.
    Would have liked the Plastimo 130 compass mount a bit higher off the top of the slide. The middle light in the dodger is planned to be opening.

316) Where's the bunk?

317) Spoiled by this wide 2X4 ladder over the remodel years. Top step is about where the kitchen counter is going - angled away from access to the q-berth stowage area.

Promise to put up and shut up!
    Last edited by ebb; 08-31-2008 at 08:25 AM.