Thread: EBB's PHOTO GALLERY THREAD

Threaded View

bollards

That hardware installation looks bollocks to me.
    Stating the obvious: would anybody lead line overboard with knife edge like that? Tear the chaffing gear to shreds.
    It says alot about the designer, builder, and the idiot who buys it.
    Greenboatstuff shows a Davey and Co bronze version of this bollard. Smallest size is 12" and will set you back $578. Not including S&H.

Davey has a beautiful open top horney cleat #1078 -chock/cleat - that comes in four reasonable sizes. Prices start at $33. They also have small well rounded bronze bollards #1126 in four sizes, starting at $47.
    Befor you order from greenboatstuff ask if they have it in stock, otherwise it'll be months. It happened to me. The web site takes a little getting used to, also.

I can see these bollards being used at the bow and stern INSTEAD OF SKENE CHOCKS on our boats. Have not actually tried them.
    Lines in both locations, depending on the size bollard, would be 'corner to corner' through the bollard.
    The bollards posts are round - EXCELLENT! And the base is rounded - EXCELLENT!
    Have to allow for line size and chaffing gear.

I haven't got one in my hands, BUT the question arises:
    can the bollard be drilled for a clevis pin across the top, or near the top, to capture the line?
    Being bronze it may be a reasonable alteration. And the loose pin used only when needed. Like going through the Panama. Or leaving the boat untended.

Could fancy it up with one side of the bollard being threaded and the pin screwed into place. No cotters.
    It only takes more time and more money!
    Davey & Co. does custom work.....
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________'
    Later edit:
    Brits being weird Brits, there is nobody in the UK including Davey that gives the dimensions or a dimensional drawing of these bollard/chocks -
    except that they are so many inches long and one assumes that refers to the base (rather than the opening between the posts, which it could be) - and the width of the base. One might extrapolate enuf data to make a somewhat acciurate drawing of the fitting. However fine tuning a size to the bow toerail (they'd have to be mounted somewhat inboard imco because of space limitations in the forepeak. The width of the base is an important consideration. The bollards are highly sculptural and making a model would be difficult. Greenboatstuff is no help either, better ask what their return policy is?
    Last edited by ebb; 03-13-2011 at 03:05 PM.