+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EBB's PHOTO GALLERY THREAD

Hybrid View

From above
    Attached Images  

With lid in place (Got to figure out why the flash quit):
    Attached Images  

Nice craftsmanship on that hood Ebb. I was wondering where you are putting the traveler now, on the hood somehow or further forward in the cockpit?

Thanks Tim!,
    Travelor? Whart travelor?

Well, since this is sort of a public work in progress, maybe you can get me out of trouble

Aunty Ariel, the Angel of inspiration has failed me on this - however:

1) There could be a midboom travelor on the after part of the hard dodger I plan to put there. But the Angel is telling me that the dodger being so dangerously prominent has to be rounded (therefor not wide enough for a travelor) and I have the feeling that the dodger will have to have a hatch in it also, because it only will have sitting height under.

2) Since the boom on 338 is to be canted up to allow standing in the cockpit, and a vertical pole of some design could be installed permanently to rig a crane to lift the OB out of the well, perhaps this can be conceived as an arch (ouch!) and could also have the travelor on it. Certainly haven't any experience here! This strong structure at the end of the cockpit really appeals to me. It could be independant or part of the push pit. Have installed continuous maranti backing plate under the rear deck, ready for any idea.

Don't have an aesthetic problem with an arch so long as it is practical and necessary.

3) Is a travelor really necessary? What did we do befor Harken? Is there a REAL advantage for a cruiser to have one?

GUYS, GALS, TIM, This is YOUR responsibility
    Last edited by ebb; 06-12-2005 at 06:53 PM.

Traveler or no, I think mainsheet probably should be fairly near aft end of boom for best sail shape control. How much clearance would you say you will have between top of hood and boom? Maybe you could mount some short pedastals on the hood so as not to interfere with your hatch? How strong is that hood anyway???

Boom gallows that double as a lift for the OB? Perhaps similar to this modification on a COntessa 26?

http://www.pocketcruisers.com/contes..._traveler.html
    Last edited by mbd; 06-12-2005 at 08:21 PM.

Tim,
    Stupidly didn't weigh the hutch befor install. Fairly light, but you and me could both stand on it. With added backing plates the sides could be used to partial support a structure that has a base on the deck. Compression strength is built into the rounded shape. but a pointy whomp might hole it, it's about 1/4" in most places, the lid is reinforced with pvc foam, the water channels meant to add 'rib' strength to the opening.

In thinking about this conundrum, It is my feeling that the structure for the travelor should have all of its strength from the base, the feet.

Like Mike's Contessa example (Thanks!), even tho it is obvious rigid, it is able to take the shock of a jibe independantly of, say, the coamings if it had been designed that way.

On an Ariel the end of the boom is at the end of the cockpit. I agree, it is the #1 location for the boom sheet. I'm not sure the hutch creates a convenient seat back/arm rest, I mean I'm not sure if one can sit back there while sailing, but I angled the hutch with that in mind, not thinking that the travelor might have to be there! Therefore in the interests of heads and tails the travelor has to be further back and/or higher.

The Contessa seems to have the sheet purchase at an angle to the end of the boom. The sheet seems to go forward at an angle to the boom. How much of an angle is allowable? I'm aware the travelor at near 90 degrees below the boom is the way it is often designed.

A boom gallows under a boom that's 6 and a half feet off the cockpit sole is TALL! Could be a sliding one? But to lift the OB out of the well with the 'crane' with block and tackle will take a lot of height. So maybe my lifting gear will have to be separate (and carried stowed) like already designed by Gene and Garhauer.

So, now, if the travelor bridge is half way back to get it out of the way, it then will be right over the well.

What happens if the travelor is mounted virtually at the stern? It would would be a bridge maybe nearly 12" high. Is this kopecetic, my friends, is this a solution? Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread