Thread: EBB's PHOTO GALLERY THREAD

Threaded View

Gentlemen,
    the epoxy product is a two-part high-build sanding primer at $45 a gallon from an independant chandlery. Everybody uses it in the yard here, the DIYers after they talk with the pros - who can't afford failures. It is supplied in half filled gallon containers, as a one to one mix. Each part requires stirring befor mixing. Because of the half empty cans it is convenient to mix and pour into the premeasured mixing container.

A high build sanding primer does not have to be part of a LPU system like Awlgrip or Sterling. You can put it on, prep at your 'leisure', and then put on the requisite regular system primer when you're going to paint within the time constrictions of the film.

I know Dave and Mike have worked with this stuff. The chandlery stocks it for the workers. In fact the c. has a truck that makes daily deliveries all over the Bay area to marinas and job sites. This kind of personal service the Royal Rip Off Chain can't duplicate. The paint company what makes it does not seem to promote the product in any way, maybe to avoid stepping on the toes of USPaint and Sterling etc. who flog it at twice the price. The white stuff you see in the OB well pics of Billl's is this primer. It also comes in "champagne" in case you need a color to sand down to. Like most epoxys it gets harder over time. I've probably passed the easy sanding window in the well. Oh, well! email and I'll give up the product name and number.

This way I hope I am honoring the 'underground' informational nature of this primer. I would hope that you guys do the same, leaving it word of mouth, and not broadcasting it here on the net. It probably is just me inventing the secret status of this paint. I can here Dave saying, "Hell, man, EVERYBODY knows this stuff, bin using it myself for twennyfive years or so! Primed a dulcimer once with it!"

I've seen this used for topsides only. I think it is best sprayed on. (haven't done it myself, yet) because it goes on very even and smooth that way. Afterall, the hi-build is put on to fill pin holes and minor imperfections in all that hard work of fairing. My brush marks in the ob well are there now exactly as I put them on wet.
    If you need a high build hull primer as a barrier coat, people around here use Interbucks 2000.

A yard is full of toxins. The high end LPU gloss man here does not prewash hulls with solvents, as specified by most systems specs I've seen, uses only soap (detergent like for dishes) and water.
    Last edited by ebb; 07-23-2004 at 05:31 PM.