+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EBB's PHOTO GALLERY THREAD

Hybrid View

boom sheeting

Thank you, gentlemen, for your interest.

Might I ask the panel:
    The main purpose of a mainsheet travelor is to make it possible to have more adjustment when beating.
    Another reason is to have a more conventient location for the helmsman to control the sheet, which comes from a central block.
    Are there other uses for the travelor? Is a travelor necessary for sail performance?
    Doesn't a rigid vang add more control of the boom that used to asked of the travelor? In other words, maybe we can go back to the original block-only system?
    Has anybody sailed in the Ariel with the old method. Can you compare the two?
    Joe intimates that the deck blocks could be mounted, let's say, more or less even with the end of the boom. Since the boom amidships is the only time that relation occurs, why does it matter where the blocks are placed? There at the end of the cockpit or further aft?

Is it cockpit aesthetics that makes the boom/sheet arrangement look right only when the end of the boom is directly over the travelor? Even tho it could be argued that the boom is never there while sailing?
    Is there a mechanical reason why the travelor could not be mounted across the stern rail? Too odd? Just not done? Just asking. This is hypothetical, the hatch needs to be raised of course.

It just occurs to me that a travelor setup gives at least one more part to the block system, making it easier to haul the boom in.

Has anybody entertained the notion that it would be a good thing to get the travelor out of the cockpit?

Ideas? Mucas Gracious!!!
    Last edited by ebb; 06-27-2005 at 08:06 AM.

Talking timely post.

I should like to add my questions to yours.......

[size=1]Added on edit;[/size]
    But upon edit, I think I will post mine in another thread.....

link to thread on Main sheet Travlelers
    Last edited by c_amos; 06-27-2005 at 09:28 AM. Reason: To prevent hijacking

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Eb,
    Looking at the hutch..... is possible to mount the blocks on the outer sides of the hutch since it is made fast and looks strong...As far as I can would isee the far end of the boat might be too far aft to mount the controls of blocks or a raised traveler....The lines would come up at an angle and could rub the hutch.....I once looked hard at installing the traveler on my older Ariel in the cockpit...about 12 inches back from the drop boards.....I finally decided it would be too busy in close when working the sheets....As far as the vang goes. I use it to steady the down wind and reaching legs....keeps steady pressure and dosen't rise and fall like line vangs....Going up wind it can help flatten the main...When its light I keep it loose....I would like to visit some day to see the boat...Joe

travelor

Thanks, Joe,
    Glad to show you the boat. Could use your input. See your 'private message.'

Was wondering if the rigid vang performs some of the functions of the standard travelor in the cockpit making it possible to go back to the original 3-block mainsheet. I'm not predjudiced against any right-on solution. It's not hard to 'see' it in stainless steel tube.

Mike's Contessa link above has another guy's installation using tube - tho not as impressive as the angles and wood one it looks lighter and the idea could be borrowed to get the blocks and/or travelor off the deck and out of the cockpit. If the lead to the boom was OK. ????
    Last edited by ebb; 06-28-2005 at 07:19 AM.

Ebb -

Dropped back into here in search of under-cockpit quarterberth info. Had to change my Thread View settings to be able to find your thread.

Over 100 days since an update. Tony is winning (you said so yourself). What's going on out there at the Borregaard Skunkworks?

Maybe you can bribe Bill with some fresh wine to get him to post some new photos. I'll send the cheese and crackers if some interior shots can be posted.
    Last edited by CapnK; 10-08-2005 at 10:58 AM.
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.

traveller again

Many race boats have the traveller down low across the middle of the cockpit (I would hate that, a real shin banger)

But, how about across the cockpit seats at the very end in front of the hutch?
    Attached Images  

Tell you what ebb,

Seems like a good place for the traveler, but for the mainsheet.

I it seems to me like it would spend an awful lot of time right in the middle of things, or forced to be bent arond the sides of the cabin top.

Let me go out and sail the boat, (it is 72f, blowing about 12) I will tie a line around the boom and hang it down to try to picture it and get back to you.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

+ Reply to Thread