wha..? w h a a? oh, here aye is.
C'amos, C'pete, Thanks for the input and the research.

I see now a seatback high tube rail just outside the coamings. designed in conjunction with the 'breakwaters' at the front of the coamings. They would terminate at the hutch and would have heavy weather sunbrella panels for wind and water protection. The construction back there at the hutch could include a tube traveler base across the end of the cockpit at a higher level. If I did decide for that I'd probably set it exactly over the end of the cockpit with a protecting handhold rail in front of it, the hand rail over the seats. The height is a trial and error mockup situation because you'd be real careful hair and ears and fingers were not danger. The taller and more elaborate the structure, the more weight.

A hand hold at the end of the cockpit is in itself much desireable!
Wonder how many fingers and toes are put in jeopardy with in or end cockpit travelor systems? Then again is the traveler an absolute?

I've kidded myself about how much of a jungle gym is necessary on the aft end of 338. Me and 338 are well into a weight issue! I know we too small for wind generators and radar towers and whatever. If the travelor/handhold piece still allowed the OB to be craned out of the well, you could design the stern rail out of the picture. Don't know about the solar panels, when I get to it will most likely go for flexible and a semi-bimini type mount. ???

One duck is tied to the next duck and the next.

In the beginning I reinforced the foward corners of the seats (icebox removed) thinking an arch could be put over the cockpit there, anchored on the seats, perhaps part of the dodger. That may become an option again because the boom is raised now, the arch could be higher up and access to the companionway more dignified. Don't believe our OE boom can be converted to mid-boom sheeting. I like the loosefoot sail, so it HAS to be end-boom sheeting.

How's that sheet lead look?