Thread: Sea Sprite 23 #670 "Heritage"

Threaded View

The evolution of a hatch cover

"Heritage" was missing her original motor well hatch cover when I assumed stewardship of her. After much thought, I came up with my own version and have been slowly developing her from scratch.
    In my humble opinion, my creation is better than the original in both appearance, strength, fitment and integrity.
    The design, although not overly complicated, took into account that the shape as viewed from the top is actually trapazoidal and not rectangular as I originally thought. I also wanted to match the decks camber on the top of the hatch and found it necessary to duplicate the camber to the lower sides (bottom edges) of the hatch cover so that it would seat properly.
    I also wanted to ensure that it would achieve the following: look right, like it belonged, be strong enough for an adult to stand upon it and enhance the overall appearance and integrity of her refit.
    As many of you may know, attention to detail, not swiftness in accomplishment seem to be more my style. Make no mistake, the photos of progress do not depict the time invested in this one project, now nearing completion.
    Here's some of the earlier stages of the process:
    Attached Images          
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith
    (Formerly) Sea Sprite 23 #760 (Heritage)
    (Formerly) Commander #256 (Ceili)