+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Trip To The Jersey Shore

Trip To The Jersey Shore

Went down and visited David Beaton and Sons Boatyard in West Mantoloking, NJ. A really nice experience looking at all the old boats and working buildings and talking to Tom Beaton the manager. I wanted to shares these pictures with you guys. The little white koster boat has a blog, be sure to check out.

http://www.sjogin.com/?page_id=17

Ben

This is the reason for the visit. We went to check out this Herreshoff S-Boat that has been languishing ashore for the last decade. Just a foot longer than a Ariel. These boats have running backstays and their jibs are self tending. They draft almost five feet, old style. There is still an active small fleet racing (5-6 boats) on the western Sound. I'd love to attempt her restoration and get her back racing, just a dream.

Ben

Last edited by Ariel 109; 07-30-2010 at 03:38 AM.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    I can almost smell the wood.

Here's a short video about building the Sea Bright Skiff. There's a 20-30 minute version on the internet I can't find right now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZOujiRfLA0

Edit: Here it is

http://www.folkstreams.net/film,41

My Dad used to keep the boat at this yard, back when it had a marine railway and old-timey craftsmen. Oh well
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commanderpete; 04-08-2010 at 07:12 AM.

City Island is long past the golden age of yachting. Some remnants here and there. But it's really now a place for people to go eat seafood dinners and cause traffic jams on weekends. Got to blame it all on the tax man taking all of Harold Vanderbilt's money and the general decline in rich peoples tastes.

Three shots from the wonderful Rosenfeld Collection. Trader John, one of the old timers I've met on City Island used to work for Mr. Rosenfeld on the photographer's boat Foto.

Thanks for the links Commanderpete.

You can spend hours looking over this site.

https://www.rosenfeldcollection.com/index.cfm

The America's Cup sloop VANITIE's 168-foot mast stops traffic on City Island Avenue as two dozen men inch it out of the Nevins spar shop in 1928.

Launching party of POLLY at Nevins, 1945

M-Boats, 1935

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    So much good stuff there. Somebody always buys me a Rosenfeld calendar every year.

Here we have the J-Class "Ranger" owned by Harold Vanderbilt, born at a local Vanderbilt Mansion.

"In 1930, Harold achieved the pinnacle of yacht racing success by defending the America's Cup in the J-class yacht Enterprise. His victory put him on the cover of the September 15, 1930, issue of Time magazine. In 1934 Harold faced a dangerous challenger in Endeavour, as the British boat won the first two races. However, Vanderbilt came back in his yacht Rainbow to win three races in a row and defend the Cup. In 1937 Harold defended the Cup a third time in Ranger, the last of the J-class yachts to defend the Cup. Vanderbilt's wife, Gertrude "Gertie" Lewis Conaway, became the first female to compete as a full-fledged team member in an America's Cup yacht race."

Next is a picture of "Ranger's" Afterguard

"Afterguard on the stern deck, from left to right: Rod and Olin Stephens, Professor Zenas Bliss, Mrs. and Mr. Harold Vanderbilt (Harold is at wheel), and Arthur Knapp dressed casually"

Now we have to be satisfied watching "The Jersey Shore" on TV and the modern America's Cup "yachts" that won't sail in over 15 kts. of breeze. But, they can make 22 kts. in 6 kts. of wind so what do know
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by commanderpete; 04-10-2010 at 07:53 AM.

I really enjoyed the Seabright skiff documentary. I know somebody who's family had a motorized Ulrichsen "Jersey Sea Skiff" that must of been derived from the fishing skiffs. I'll never look disinterested at those old lifeguard boats again.

Harold Vanderbilt was a expert bridge player. I wonder how much gambling was a factor in yacht racing back then? Do you guys in the SF Ariel fleet bet on your races?

These shots were taken a Brewer's Post Road Marina in Mamaroneck after I chickened out from going sailing in the Ariel today. Too gusty for me to be sailing alone. Tough call because I really wanted to go out. Ah, there will be other days.

The Herreshoff S-boat fleet still wintering. They have taken the canvas boat covers off them.

This beauty was near by.

The Hodgdon yard of East Boothbay, Maine launched the 55-foot "P-class" gaff-rigged sloop in 1916. BERNICE was designed by George Owen, a contemporary of Nathaniel Herreshoff. In the late 1920s or early 1930s she was re-rigged to a fractional marconi yawl

Last edited by Ariel 109; 04-10-2010 at 02:13 PM.

people who collect cars are, ahem, missing the boat...

Nice S boat

That S boat is something special. Not sure how much of it could be retained based on the photos. A shame to see it out in the elements like that.

If you are considering it, you might as well pick up a copy of "Sloop", which came out in the last couple years. Written by a friend of mine who ended up with his family Herreshoff 12.5 sloop, which he managed to put back in shape.

If the S boats are of similar construction, which I suspect they are, I would guess many ribs will need to saved for the wood stove. Or maybe pen blanks.

No question about the boat being worthy, though.

Here is a link to "Sloop"
    http://www.amazon.com/Sloop-Restorin.../dp/0743202392
    Last edited by Frenna; 04-11-2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: add link

Frenna, thanks for the book recommendation. I'll defiantly try and get that book.

Ben

Another visit, this time to Barrons, a local yard on City Island. Another neat old crane and another languishing wooden boat. Purportedly a Herreshoff, maybe the R-Boat Scapa from 1914. Remodeled and altered, rumored to have lost some of her stern at some point. She must be full of memories.

Last edited by Ariel 109; 07-27-2010 at 12:10 PM.

I finished "Sloop" by Daniel Robb that Frenna recommended. Nice book, I think most here would really enjoy it. The mighty Strand bookstore has new review copies for about what you pay for a cup of fancy coffee these days.

I haven't read many books on sailing since I was a kid, Hornblower, Robin Lee Graham and all those Master & Commander books. Right now I'm reading an old copy of Arthur Knapp's "Race Your Boat Right" which though hopelessly out of date is a good book. Any other sailing book recommendations?

Ben

Joshua Slocum's Sailing Around the World Alone, of course. And I like Tania Aebi's Maiden Voyage. My Old Man and the Sea - (I like the cicumnavigation genre) - that one is a father and son rounding of Cape Horn and they take turns writing chapters. More of a survival book as a whole, but Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage is an incredible story with an heroic sail as it's turning point.

There's lots of 'em out there. More are mentioned in these threads:

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...ng-suggestions

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...n-in-a-Electra
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

I discovered some of L. Francis Herreshoff's books. I found a used copy of this and "Sensible Cruising Designs" at the old Stand Bookstore here in New York.

Sailing book of the week. Thanks to jury duty I finished it in one day!

+ Reply to Thread