Thread: rope/chain rode

Threaded View

getting the ultimate anchor rode together

Thanks Mike!
    That is good stuff to know!
    and thanks to John Danicic.

The 'elongated splice' (we have to come up with a better descriptive term!*) with 8 plait has my attention.
    I know I'd feel safer with strands intertwining a number of links. It just looks right with the 8 plait. [Ebb's wrong here - see below.]

When you buy the made up 30/270 it's a single link back splice.
    Aren't we loosing a big percentage of rope strength making a splice like that?
    Long splicing 8-plait onto a number of links has to be the best soft connection you can make between nylon and iron.

All fiber rope makers seem to have their plants on the Eastern Seaboard. So shipping costs are a real impediment for us over here. Haven't found a chandlery here either that stocks 8 plait anchor line, nor shorter lengths of 5/16 G4 galv chain.
    [I don't bother to bring up Lost Marine on the net anymore. Their pages are often not specific to a search, in fact they seem to be illiterate or just don't care. Their prices are often OUTRAGEOUIS, higher than any other cataloger. You'd think the largest retailer would be a discounter.]

Defender sells 5/16 G4 Acco BY THE FOOT ($3.49) - but ships it UPS it at 2# per foot!
    They have Buccaneer 8 strand nylon plait (5/8" $.99ft) - 11# per 100' shipping.

Really impressed with that long rope-to-chain splice and have to try it myself.
    If I ordered 30' chain and 300' of 5/8" Buccaneer that's 100 Defender pounds by UPS!!!
    Actual weight is probably half that.
    No warm fuzzy loyalty feelings here.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    * How about 'the eight to eight splice'?
    8 TO 8 PLAIT
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    SO, what would you have at the other end of your rode?
    A soft or hard EYE?
    Last edited by ebb; 10-01-2009 at 01:17 PM.