+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rope/chain rode

Hybrid View

gizmo vs bob the buoy

Hmmmmmm...
    When I go to the aussie site the first featured picture shows an anchor shank eye shackled to a stranger fitting attached to a CABLE....?

Further into the site you find that the breakaway pins are actually for the anchor bow shackle.
    An unexplained gizmo is connected to a link in the anchor chain. What is it the breaks away under a predetermined load?
    Everything is left to the imagnation, nothing is explained, really made clear.
    Not to me.
    How about an ubertube video?

But suppose your anchor was buried deep in sand.
    Suppose your baby was swinging away on the end of her tether and a wave or two came along.
    Would you be persuaded that the sudden action won't break the shackle pin
    and now with the chain pulling on the 'crown'
    meaning puilling on the lower part of the shank near the fluke(s)
    the boat would now be dragging her anchor around backwards in a determined way.

Would I leave the boat unattended with this jig on?
    Would I nod off as I often do?

What is the 'predetermined' breaking load on that breakaway pin?
    We need a bag of these special breakaway pins $$$
    and do we also, evidently, have to wire the shackle to the chain ??? (Unexplained wire in photo)

The Manson Supreme has this easy-out option in the long slide in its shank you can screw a regular anchor shackle into. Idea being that if you are anchored in rock or coral you can slide the shackle down to the crown and back the anchor out.
    I guess you should rig these conveniences only while onboard and keeping watch.

Haven't read any cruiser wanting to use this Supreme shank-slider. Everyone thinks its patently unsafe!

(Interesting that in the list of anchors the Anchor Saver is recommended for, the aussie Manson Supreme is not mentioned, didn't see it.)

Anyway what's the matter, when setting your anchor, you have the tripping line to the anchor crown attached to a small buoy? Let's everybody know where your anchor is - you too
    - whether holding or loose..
    imco
    Last edited by ebb; 08-18-2010 at 05:33 PM.

+ Reply to Thread