Thread: rope/chain rode

Threaded View

Mike, FANTASTIC!

I guess that makes this thread a loop.

We have pretty clear idea of a modern cruiser's anchor rode.
    Even if I wasn't cruising, I'd have something like this for the boat,
    just in case.

For the moment it appears that this 8 strand rope-to-chain LONG splice is a
    FOLK SPLICE (if that is how to call it).
    It seems to have appeared spontaneously in Europe with the appearance of 8 strand plait, the Brits not credited with the invention. We're probably only 3 people away from knowing the guy who first did it.
    NO manufacturer has a diagram in their how-to's - which is really quite strange.

Anybody got a deal on a pail of 5/16 G4 and a half a spool of 5/8 Buccaneer square rope?
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wow! Thanks again for the following post (#7) from MIKE
    on Yale Cordage. Have to go back and actually read it later.
    Yale takes credit for inventing the stuff - sounds that way. It's now 10 years old.
    But Buccaneer's Brait is probably not an outright copy as it weighs a little bit more and has a bit more breaking (tensile) strength.
    Yale at Defender is also $.20 more a foot (for the 5/8s.)
    Yale also makes the argument FOR the heavier line and its water absorbing ability. But there is a chart that recommends much lighter rope for our size boat. Given our size boat and anchor, wouldn't you think a heavier rope preferable?
    Here's where we have to find out about whose yarns have the best UV protection and other physical attributes.

Most interesting on the Yale site are two urethane rope paints, which I have never heard of.......
    Last edited by ebb; 10-01-2009 at 05:13 PM.