+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Commander 227

Hybrid View

Hey Mike - Best of luck on the minor repairs /tune-up you and the Princess are getting... And best of luck on the new ventures! Let us know what you are up to.
    Cheers!

Hey Mike,
    Had my rotator cuff repaired on 2/12/13 and like Jerry it went surprisingly well. This is my second round, the first being 8 years ago. In addition to this surgeon gloriously (for me) using a nerve block that rendered my arm 100% numb as a 2x4 for about 18 hours - he also ordered an cold compression contraption like the one below for me to use and it was my best friend for 2 weeks - especially when sleeping. It was about $400 to rent, but SO worth every penny. 43* water circulating through a firm hug around my shoulder for many of those initial hours kept the swelling at bay. My first surgery recovery with no initial nerve block or ice machine was really, really painful, but I took only ibuprofen for this one!! 8 weeks post surgery and I'm just now allowed to start using very light resistance with my physical therapy protocol. Like Jerry, I released myself from my sling regularly after a couple days, but it is really easy to accidentally use that arm like it's functional. When you start to feel good at about 4 weeks, is apparently the critical time that most people re-tear. Resist the urge, Man. It is slow, but you should be good to go at 3 months. Your 24" of ice might be melted by then.

Name:  iceicebaby.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  66.8 KB

This is the one I had: http://www.thermotekusa.com/md_vascutherm.php
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 04-09-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Perhaps one of our last sails of the year in shorts and tees last night. High 80s, 10 knots breeze and a lake devoid of powerboats. Life is good.
    Attached Images  

Okay I'm officially jealous.... I've been working 7 days a week for 5 weeks now and unable to even touch Destiny. I need a life......
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Night sail

Beautiful night. Light wind, close reaching under code zero, migrating pelicans...
    Attached Images  

You live a charmed life, Mike.
    My home has a keel.

Don't I know it Tony!

Another great sail last night, beautiful sunset at the same time as a full moon rising. Blowing a perfect 10 knots, a nice cheese plate, hoppy IPA, Acustic Greatful Dead playing and my arm around my sweetie.
    The Princess is comming out of the water on Saturday as we will be traveling in the beginning of October so we have been happy for the warm nights.
    Attached Images    

Dark shot

Don't know, but I can see a monster head in the twinkling !

The fat lady sings

So sad to call it early this year.
    The Ensign in the picture, Tranquility, is my Dad's boat that he bought new in 1965 and has raced every year since. Dad worked for Honeywell as a EE and bought the boat with his overtime earnings while working on an escape system for one of the Apollo missions. ($2,200. w/o sails) the mission he worked on landed in the Sea of Tranquility on the moon, giving her her name. six of us kids learned to love sailing on this boat. Dad would let us take her out by ourselves when we turned 13 if we could pass his test. In those days before jet skis it was a thrill. Great lessons on independence and responsibility.
    We had our last Ensign race last Thursday. At 85 dad no longer sails without a crew so we pulled her early as well. It was nice to get them cleaned up and put away in nice weather.
    Not sure why the pictures are upside down...
    Attached Images    

Mike

I grew up in Wisconsin and moved to Florida in 1977. It is really easy for me to lose track of how short your season up there is. Here in Florida we have an official sailing season that is more like 6 months but it is possible to sail year round. You just have to live close enough to the boat to get out in the summer when the weather allows. But when Destiny goes back in the water she will stay there 9 months out of the year or the mirror opposite of your situation. We should turn into snow birds and go back and forth with the weather!!!!
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Spring 2014

Finally got around to cleaning up The Princess the other day. We have had an awful and very late spring. You just gotta love that Awlgrip paint! It's been years now and look at that shine.

After leaving the marina business I am returning to the buoy I kept my Ensign on for 10 years. It is only 2 blocks from my house and a heck of a lot cheaper than a slip. I'll be setting up a generator to charge the battery bank now that I don't have shore power. If you look close you can see her twin C157 down the shore line.

It would seem that The Princess took a knock on the snout by a gravel truck over the winter. Half of her bow sprit was cracked off when I removed her cover. I built up another with MDO plywood, coated it with epoxy and reprinted. This time I installed her with epoxy and 406 filler. I had the last one thru bolted and glued on with 5200 as it was a bit of an experiment and I wasn't sure I'd keep it. Now I'm sure.
    We've had one nice sail so far and are hoping for many more this summer.
    Attached Images      

Great sailing over the Forth, we are finally getting a little summer weather. We are coming off the rainiest June in history, the lakes are at record levels. As a result an emergency minimum wake rule has been set for all the Metro lakes for the last two weeks and it is expected to remain in effect thru July!!!! As you can imagine power boat traffic is down about 50% and the water is nice and flat. Super pleasant out there!
    Attached Images  

Wow, what a great shot Mike!!! The picture of The Princess is also looking pretty good. She looks almost like you just finished painting her! BTW I replied to your PM.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Hey Mike,
    Saw this and thought of you. Your next electric conversion. http://www.zelectricmotors.com/

Name:  zbug.JPG
Views: 932
Size:  62.9 KB

Adjusting to life on a buoy

Forever the optimist, last fall when I Hauled out The Princess I tore out most of the interior figuring I'd have all winter to fashion something new. I also pulled the combing boards that probably should have been done last year. So... June rolls around and nothing has been touched. drats. Last time I finished the combing boards I applied 3coats of varnish and several coats of automotive clear coat. It looked good for quite a few years but holy cow was it a ***** to sand off. Not ever wanting to go thru that again I went with Cetol natural teak. Not nearly as fancy looking but the annual upkeep should be easier. We'll see.
    This is the second season The Princess is moored in a buoy field instead of a dock and I've had some things to work around that I want to address with the new interior. With the electric inboard I needed to install a generator for charging. I put in a thru hull for the exhaust and welded a flare fitting on the muffler of a small Honda. I'm using a stainless gas supply line to route the exhaust. Then I wired an old landscape timer to the kill switch so I can let it run for a few hours after I leave her. My 15amp smart charger was fine when I had shore power but I don't want to run the generator for 8 hours to finish off the trickle top off. Sears had a clearance sale on good old dumb 10a/2a charges, 20 bucks a pop. I picked up four and now I can hit the bank hard for an hour and let the timer shut it down. Also works good to power along under the generator if the battery's run down. The buoy field is pretty tight but I don't think the other boats will be damaged when she burns to the waterline.
    Being I have 110v available now I teed off the head inlet and ran a line to a small shallow well pump so I can more easily wash her down. Pretty great, more power than my garden hose at home.
    Now I need to find more elegant mounting for the new gizmos and hammer together an interior.
    Mike
    C227
    Attached Images        

+ Reply to Thread