+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander 227

Hybrid View

The Princess takes a bullet

Commander 227 was kinda handed her name by my friends around the marina.
    "The Princess"
    They have been calling her P.O.S. all summer..... I can only assume that means "Princess Of the Sea"
    Here's The Princess finishing a fall race. She finished 3rd but PHRFed her way to 1st.
    I have to race old man style as I haven't sprung for a spinnaker yet.
    Attached Images  

Getting kinda lonley around here

The end is nigh
    Attached Images    

rails

Commander 227,

I left you a private message regarding the stanchions and rails. Please check it out when you have the chance.

Seasons over

So sad, pulled The Princess out today. Last boat out.
    Onto the winter list;
    1, Replace compression post and shorty bulkheads with header, full bulkheads and a door to give the head more privacy. (like an Ariel)

2, Replace porta-potie with real head.

3, Install inboard motor, I absolutely hate the outboard in a well thing. I intended to install an Atomic 4 I have laying around, but now I am planning on a 48 volt Mars brushless electric motor set up. less weight, no noise, I moor at a dock with shore power so charging isn't a problem. it looks like I will get about 1.5 hours @ hull speed or 4-5 hours @ around 3 knots with 4 group 27 deep cycle batteries. I sail a 14,000 acre lake without tides or currents so don't need even that much range.

4, Bottom job. We got most of the multiple layers of old paint off with the pressure washer when t was still soft after haul out. VC-17 seem to be the best choice in our climate and waters.

5, Paint freeboard and decks. Fill in outboard well in the bottom and recore the aft deck without the outboard lazerette to further clean up the lines.

6, Rudder post bearing is badly worn and sloppy as well as the rudder to shaft bolts.

I'm toying with the idea of teak decks, hmmmm.... Am I missing anything?
    Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Commander227 View Post
    ...but now I am planning on a 48 volt Mars brushless electric motor set up. less weight, no noise, I moor at a dock with shore power so charging isn't a problem. it looks like I will get about 1.5 hours @ hull speed or 4-5 hours @ around 3 knots with 4 group 27 deep cycle batteries.
    Keep us updated and post lots of details on this one!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Winter sailing

Here in Minnesota, as we put away our soft water boats, we start dreaming about the hard water sailing. Time to dust off the Iceboats.
    I get my winter sailing fix in my Skeeter. She'll do almost 80mph in a 25 mph wind.
    Attached Images  

I am also VERY interested in your repower with the...

electric motor. Can you give us some links to the equipment you plan on using?

http://pearsonariel.org/discussion/s...4&postcount=15

THAT is what a marina should look like! Not that I spend a lot of time lounging there, but Torresen - bless its little heart - looks like a dirty old truck stop. Maybe a good thing - if it looked like that, I might not leave the dock as often. Very appealing.

I admire your dig-in-and-blast-it-out rennovation motivation! Wanna come fix my cracking deck paint/gelcoat?

Quote Originally Posted by Commander227 View Post
    Onto the winter list;
    1, Replace compression post and shorty bulkheads with header, full bulkheads and a door to give the head more privacy. (like an Ariel)

2, Replace porta-potie with real head.

3, Install inboard motor, I absolutely hate the outboard in a well thing. I intended to install an Atomic 4 I have laying around, but now I am planning on a 48 volt Mars brushless electric motor set up.

5, Paint freeboard and decks. Fill in outboard well in the bottom and recore the aft deck without the outboard lazerette to further clean up the lines.

6, Rudder post bearing is badly worn and sloppy as well as the rudder to shaft bolts.

I'm toying with the idea of teak decks, hmmmm.... Am I missing anything?
    Great project list!
    1.- Interesting approach on the bulkhead & door! Being aware of the privacy issue (with the girls) I put in a curtain on a bungy chord. Not nearly as private as a door, but it seems to work really well - and when not in use it keeps the cabin open, making it seem more spacious than it is...

I wonder if the full bulkhead & door in the small cabin might make it a bit too prone to claustrophobia? Just a point to consider...

2.- The electric motor sounds great! I am also interested in your progress. Although in SF bay being able to make it home against a current is critical. Hopefully we'll get there soon... I have been tinking about a tiny outboard just to get me in & out of the basin. No issues with currents in Marina Del Rey where I currently am.

5.- A smooth aft deck will look amazing. Will you keep the space accessible from underneath, or close it up altogether? I saw the version of the lazarette space in the Alerion docked close to me which is smooth on top and looks great. But the space is open from the front, and I did not like the look of that at all... It is not visible on the water, but it is not attractive if you are on the boat - even if there is nothing piled-up in there...

Any thoughts on colors? (No need to reveal - I'm Curious!)

6.- Getting the rudder sorted out was the BEST bang for the buck as far as sailing goes. It just makes it so nice to have a solid feel on the tiller!

With Teak decks 227 would be the prettiest out there!
    Last edited by Rico; 11-11-2008 at 07:13 PM.

Private head

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    1.- Interesting approach on the bulkhead & door! Being aware of the privacy issue (with the girls) I put in a curtain on a bungy chord. Not nearly as private as a door, but it seems to work really well - and when not in use it keeps the cabin open, making it seem more spacious than it is...

I wonder if the full bulkhead & door in the small cabin might make it a bit too prone to claustrophobia? Just a point to consider...
    We use The Princess strictly as a day sailer, (or mostly a night sailer) as we live just 3 blocks from her slip. The only time we spend below decks is to use the head, pick a new playlist on the Ipod, or to fetch a fresh brewski. Oh and my wife wants a little counter space to prepare the cheese plates. I agree that the knee wall type bulkhead really makes the little cuddy seem spacious and I am hesitant to give up the open feeling, but a decent head is the biggest reason we moved from the Ensign to the Commander in the first place.

I assume that it will be the same as a Ariel on the forward side of the bulkhead> Hey Ariel guys... how do you like your heads? I guess I should make some quick cardboard bulkheads and see if I like it.

I also am thinking of bringing the companionway bulkhead all the way down to the bunks and sole so you can't see into the lazerettes, just to clean it up some. Maybe still have an access door.

I will put up a post soon on my electric inboard plans.

The hatch cover

I don't suppose there is any chance you still have the hatch cover, huh? I could sure use it. C229 has an old home-made one that doesn't look too great, but it doesn't look too bad either. I assume the fiberglass one is original. That is why I am interested in it. I believe there is very little on this boat that isn't original.
    Attached Images    

+ Reply to Thread