+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander 227

Hybrid View

Adjusting to life on a buoy

Forever the optimist, last fall when I Hauled out The Princess I tore out most of the interior figuring I'd have all winter to fashion something new. I also pulled the combing boards that probably should have been done last year. So... June rolls around and nothing has been touched. drats. Last time I finished the combing boards I applied 3coats of varnish and several coats of automotive clear coat. It looked good for quite a few years but holy cow was it a ***** to sand off. Not ever wanting to go thru that again I went with Cetol natural teak. Not nearly as fancy looking but the annual upkeep should be easier. We'll see.
    This is the second season The Princess is moored in a buoy field instead of a dock and I've had some things to work around that I want to address with the new interior. With the electric inboard I needed to install a generator for charging. I put in a thru hull for the exhaust and welded a flare fitting on the muffler of a small Honda. I'm using a stainless gas supply line to route the exhaust. Then I wired an old landscape timer to the kill switch so I can let it run for a few hours after I leave her. My 15amp smart charger was fine when I had shore power but I don't want to run the generator for 8 hours to finish off the trickle top off. Sears had a clearance sale on good old dumb 10a/2a charges, 20 bucks a pop. I picked up four and now I can hit the bank hard for an hour and let the timer shut it down. Also works good to power along under the generator if the battery's run down. The buoy field is pretty tight but I don't think the other boats will be damaged when she burns to the waterline.
    Being I have 110v available now I teed off the head inlet and ran a line to a small shallow well pump so I can more easily wash her down. Pretty great, more power than my garden hose at home.
    Now I need to find more elegant mounting for the new gizmos and hammer together an interior.
    Mike
    C227
    Attached Images        

Happy Fourth Mike, Looks like a well thought out package..... right down to the protection of neighboring boats (LOL) Maybe after some trials you can figure out how many ounces of gas needs to be in the generator tank to run it dry and kill the engine. Enjoy the Summer. Carl

+ Reply to Thread