+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander 227

Hybrid View

I once met a couple in the Azores who were sailing their 52 foot wooden boat from Canada to the U.K. It was custom built in Canada for them based on in the design of the oringal NINA and the husband will NOT have lifeline installed regardless what the wife said. Bless her heart she went along with it and lived to tell the story. Needless to say the line is beautiful. I don't know what the lifeline will do to the line but I for one will NOT sail across the Atlantic without a lifeline does not matter how pretty the boat is.
    Last edited by Triton106; 04-13-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Beautiful lines and life lines

This whole discussion reminds me of a Bruce McCall spoof on an imagined WW-II Italian fighter plane design. From the end of the lengthy description:

"A remarkable feature of the plane, considering its fighter designation, was its total lack of armament. The designers successfully resisted all attempts to ruin its unbroken lines with ugly guns."

I am very hesitant to add lifelines to C231, but the added safety for kids on board at anchor, as well as under way, may be the deciding factor, though they are sure to be a nuisance for grown ups. I hope to have all lines to the cockpit anyway, but that assumes nothing ever goes wrong. Maybe Wall Street should have had a few stanchions installed too.....

Frenna, The way Wall Street is behaving with total lack of regard for investers and cries for government bailout, perhaps keel hauling might serve Wall Street better than another lifeline

Hoyt Jib Boom

I just finished installing a Hoyt Jib Boom on The Princess.
    Pic #1, Not real thrilled on how it disturbs the pretty lines I've been working so hard to clean up, but its only ugly at the dock. It just matches up with the foot of the sail while under sail.
    Pic #2&3, I ran the out haul line under decks with the furling line. Its now a continuous loop that runs behind the tiller to a double clutch.(black lines) pull one side to unfurl and the other side to furl with out a pile of line laying about.
    Pic #4&5, The self tacking sheeting runs under decks as well, entering through the coach roof then running under the starboard shelves through 3:1 block system then exiting behind the tiller.(white line in pic #3)
    What a hoot to sail! The 100% self tacking jib seems perfectly matched with the reduced weight Princess. Very neutral helm and so far I have not missed the power of the 150% as the Hoyt vangs the jib as well as poling it out off the wind.
    I'm currently using a jib from a larger boat that I cut down to fit. I've had it on and off a few times to make adjustments. The angles and dimensions are pretty critical as you loose your ability to move a car to change your sheeting angles. I'm pretty happy with the current cut and will use it as a pattern to build a new jib.
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by Commander227; 07-06-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Mike

Looks like you found the guy with Forespar to talk to all on your own. I'm glad to see it is working out for you. That boom looks like if the forward hatch was still there it would hit it. Is it really as close to the cabin top as it looks in the picture or is it an optical illusion? Can you control where the end of the boom sits in relationship to the deck with shims under the base?

And speaking of pictures, do you think maybe some of your sailing friends might be willing to take a picture of you while under sail with the Hoyt boom in action?
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Princess is Queen of the Fleet I'd say

Flippin' sweet
    My home has a keel.

+ Reply to Thread