+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander 227

Hybrid View

" ( it has no data tag, sail number is 44 but it has a bridge deck so it must be a higher number )" We have her in db as number C-049, but that number was likely given to us by Chris when he registered with the association. Sometimes, hull numbers have been found written on the cabin trunk under the liner on Ariels . . .

Diesel

"No Eyes" is Chance's old boat Ceili. She now has the beautiful lights installed that Chance had bought for her. They were a different dimension so needed to be glassed up and recut when they painted her decks. She was only blind for a year. Rumor has it she will get her freeboard painted and a new bottom this winter. She is well loved and sails often.

I hope to get some pictures of Red Ink's Pheonix like return to this world. She had been struck by lightning and burned. As I understand it Chris replaced the entire bow section forward of the cabin.

As for The Princess's repower;
    I will certain miss the ease of use. The quiet, vibration less operation. And until this summer the reliability. So why change?
    The range mostly, and the decreased efficiency since moving to a buoy. The range has been fine as long as I'm not in too big a hurry. Cruising at around hull speed really eats up the juice. I'm thinking of racing The Princess regularity this summer and many times in light wind that requires motoring to and from the course which is on the other side of the lake and it's kinda tight to get there in time.
    Also, my son will be moving to Door County, WI. after he graduates in the spring. (He landed a job as a Design Engineer with Marine Travel Lift) Door County has wonderful sailing grounds on Lake Michigan and I'd like to keep The Princess there part of the year. The diesel will be a more appropriate power plant for the Great Lakes and safer for my son to use on his own.

Cozy Commanders

Those two commanders look cozy in there. Maybe there will be an Ensign next fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander227 View Post
    "As for The Princess's repower;
    I will certain miss the ease of use. The quiet, vibration less operation. And until this summer the reliability. So why change?
    The range mostly, and the decreased efficiency since moving to a buoy. The range has been fine as long as I'm not in too big a hurry. Cruising at around hull speed really eats up the juice. I'm thinking of racing The Princess regularity this summer and many times in light wind that requires motoring to and from the course which is on the other side of the lake and it's kinda tight to get there in time.
    Also, my son will be moving to Door County, WI. after he graduates in the spring. (He landed a job as a Design Engineer with Marine Travel Lift) Door County has wonderful sailing grounds on Lake Michigan and I'd like to keep The Princess there part of the year. The diesel will be a more appropriate power plant for the Great Lakes and safer for my son to use on his own.

Mike

More than most others I can understand your decision to go to the diesel inboard. I had some serious issues with my electric drive initially but since I finally got all of those issues worked out I now have a really good feel for both the electric option and the internal combustion engine option which I have used many times before.

The electric motor things I really like are as follows;

1.) Instantly available aux. power. When you find yourself needing just a little extra forward power just slide the throttle forward and you have it.

2.) Quiet operation. I love coming into the dock and being able to talk to others on board or on the dock in a normal tone. The same holds true for motoring when we lose the wind entirely.

3.) No messy fuel or oil to deal with on board. The boat stays clean and odor free.

4.) Free fuel. Since my slip rental includes electric I have no fuel cost above the slip rental cost.

The electric motor things I am NOT so fond of are as follows;

1.) Getting to the boat to go sailing and finding that the power at the marina was down for an extended time and my battery charge is low. You can't just pour more fuel in the tank and proceed to go sailing. Charging takes time.

2.) Motoring range. I'm finding that in real life the range I was expecting to get from my battery bank is significantly less than the theoretical range I anticipated getting. Also speed with the electric needs to be kept low if you need to go any long distances.

3.) I am reasonably good with mechanics but not as well versed with electrical engineering. So many things I could solve with an internal combustion engine but not so many that might crop up with the electric drive.

4.) Available repair people for an electric drive are MUCH harder to come by than for gas or diesel engines.

5.) Limited places to get repair parts from.

6.) The potential that you could in fact burn your boat to the ground. If these high amperage circuits are not properly wired there is a very real potential to have an electrical fire that would be impossible to contain.

7.) Battery cost. If you need to replace the batteries (and let's face it that is only a matter of time) it is a pretty expensive thing to do. My batteries cost $2500.00 the first go around and things are not getting less expensive as time goes on.

So while I like my electric drive while my boat is on the lake I'm not so sure it would be an appropriate choice for a "big water" boat.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

+ Reply to Thread