+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: deck scuppers

Hybrid View

on the 70 the deck scuppers are at the same place but the output was under the water. before with the old and heavy inboard engine (220kg) and some aditionnal equipement my grandfather must make other at the back (the back of the boat was inserted). now (outboar engine 37kg )the boat was in its lines, the deck scuppers at the back are not necessary and i had removed it.

Anyone have this problem with what I assume was factory issue (#82)? This Ariel has a break between the taffrail rail and toe rail, but in the slot at the aftmost part of the break, at the edge of the transom, the slot where the water should flow our freely, curls up and blocks free egress of a portion of the captured water. Was this a manufacturing mistake, or do others have a similar curl?

Peter -

I think that was/is supposed to act as a sort of a "dam" to encourage water to go down the small holes and into a water-gathering system in the lazarette, or maybe under the cockpit. This is what Craig was referring to.

At least that is my interpretation of what that "curl" is for... 8^)
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

stern scuppers

The mini ramps also provides a back for the s.s. 1/2 round 'rubbing strake'. Or it did on 338.

Popped out the wedgies and faired the slot down to deck level with 1/2 round files - this takes it down further than the deck/hull seam. You'll be opening the seam when you do this.

The factory seam inside the laz is battered with poly and matt which you may expose. Just open and clean out the loose stuff there on top and fill with epoxy filler, file and fair, paint or gelcoat. Then cut the 1/2 round trim shorter to fit if necessary.

The only downside might be staining on the transom under the openings from water now able to run off the stern.

You can sorta see this lowering of the scuppers in the Gallery on pages 13 #166 and 14 #198.
    Last edited by ebb; 01-05-2006 at 07:06 AM.

My Commander 89 does not have breaks.

Photo of cut out in toe rail for drainage

And the huge Yamaha hanging off the stern....
    Attached Images  

Janice ,
    there is a device that you attach to your outboard to give the leverage to tilt it up .
    West marine may sell it or Defender , I will look thriugh my catalogues .

Stern rail

Janice,is that a solar panel across your stern rail?

I ordered a motor tilter. It came but is too large for my outboard. It says its adjustable, it is after you have to drill your own holes. I just bought a drill today.. Its one of the first things I'll be drilling.

yea, that's a solar panel.

Here is a shot of the business part of the deck drain on Commander 105 ( shot is sideways, underside of deck is to your left ) , #45 is done very much the same .
    Attached Images  

Mike
    I could deal with that. 'Don't know why 113 was blessed with such butt-ugly work. It seems to me that an occational puddle of water on the side decks would be a small annoyance compared to four more holes in the hull and deck! Especially since the port scupper leaks and if you didin't happen to notice the photos I posted they're located far enough forward to involve the core. That wicked, wicked scupper! Anyways they gotta go. We'll move them aft to where the water actually sits and probably drain them into the cockpit drain below. We thought about draining them into the outboard well but I don't like the angle or the idea of that much hose running through the lockers. Something glassed to the inside of the hull would be nice. Thanks for posting the 'bussiness end', it's both eye candy and food for thought I assumed that everybody had hoses.

a new twist...

hope you don't mind Mike
    Attached Images  

Pearson opened the toe rail at the aft end to allow water to drain, but after which hull number is unclear. I'm guessing it was someplace between #50 and #70.
    Attached Images  

Talking

Well I like that better , you think it's too late for a recall on the early boats ?

+ Reply to Thread