Thread: deck scuppers

Threaded View

stern toerail wedge rises kaput

By way of an update on this (seemingly) strange filling between the ends of the 'taffrail' and the bitter end of the toe rails. The wedges were cracked on 338 -so I took umbrage (actually a stanley utility chisel) and removed the precious uglies while waiting this evening for the fairing to set on the topsides.

And I can report eggzactly why they were there. They were there to cover the crack because the deck molding wouldn't go over the stern in these two spots because, as you know, the deck is butt joined to the hull. Also, the s.s. trim piece that covers the join across the stern would have to be in 3 pieces to allow free exit for the water. So naturally Pearson put that gel coat riser in there - for crying out loud - to cover the crack, ease the trim piece, and create two nice little marina algae puddles to form while we are away to earn enough to buy a sponge and pay the berth fee.

I took the old #49 Nicholson file and sawed away at the rear end until it looked fair. Had to file down into the stern Water fall off no puddle. Then I bent down to deck level and eyeballed up the channel - and loe-and-behold saw that the whole DECK aft of the cockpit lazarette bulkhead drops out of FAIR, That is, mind you, while sighting up the waterways deck thru the newly 'lowered' channel.

Well, warn't no bloody surprise to me. I've noticed these last two years various bulges AND crookedness that are indicative of a lack of PATIENCE and IMPETUOUSNESS on the part of the assemblers at the Pearson Plant. For crying-out-loud you would think the deck would be fair. NOPE? NOPE!!!

I can see why GEOFF had to RAISE the starboard side of his stern! For crying out loud.

Well it ain't no big deal to add a patch of exmat up inside the tafrail along with the mat that originally glued the stern to the transom. That is, if you are one to take the wedgies out But if you are very creative you could clean out the stained fiberglass mat a bit (because water DID get in there, naturally!) plug the zit FROM THE TOP and fake the gell coat with epoxy goop and a bit of universal color! The trim piece will require a little work. Don't know if it is absolutely necessary to have the trim going across. Maybe round it some abd touch it up with the hull paint. And then you can just sit back and watch the water run off the STERN.

Fair waterways to ya, mate.
    Last edited by ebb; 03-23-2004 at 05:55 PM.