+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Play in Tiller

Hybrid View

Undoubtedly when I get the boat up here and apart that will be one of my options (since there are very few others )
    1965 Ariel #331

'MARIAH'

Historical Arts & Castings

Before casting your own tiller fitting, get an original from:

Historical Arts & Casting, Inc.
    5580 West Bagley Park Road
    West Jordan, UT 84088
    TEL: 801-280-2400
    FAX: 801-280-2493
    www.historicalarts.com

They acquired the original patterns for early Pearson yachts.

For more information check out post #25 in this thread:

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...istorical+Arts

Thanks Bill, I had not completely forgotten, but did get misplaced in the shuffle.
    Tim
    1965 Ariel #331

'MARIAH'

Tim

Just a quick note on this subject:

Historic Arts has a lot of good stuff but they didn't get the pattern for the ariel/commander tiller castings. They have the 1.5 inch casting (for the vanguard and alberg35) they also have the 1.25 inch casting for the pearson 26 (designed for a vertical shaft))

Folks who have the right part in production are zeke durka at ensign spars (same part as the ensign) and bristol bronze, bristol's tiller head casting is through drilled for the shaft, having seen both parts, i lean towards the ensign spars part for originality)

Cheers
    Bill@ariel231

I think this is why I was confused reading previous threads, I am into functionality, which replacement would give me the strongest for the buck?
    1965 Ariel #331

'MARIAH'

Both the ensign spars and bristol bronze parts appear to be equally strong. The cross-sections and alloy choices appear similar. The failure modes for my tiller were dissimilar metals (prior owner installed an aluminum tiller in the bronze casting... Not good) and wear on the bolt holes in the tiller head casting. If you have the original and the holes a just a bit oblong, you might want to talk to a welder experienced in repairing bronze (a propeller shop can fill the holes back in and re-machine the part)

I'm not concerned the original part is "under-sized" 40+ years of service is a lot to ask. My project this year is to replace my tiller head casting with an original pattern part. The rough casting is on the workbench awaiting a keyway and some time in the drill press.

Bill, be great to see some working fotos of how you finesse the new tillerhead casting.

Tim D,
    My guess is CHE is still in the Bay Area. Some time ago now I had the rudder shoe cast in 655 over in Richmond at California Castings. They might still be there. They did a beautiful job using the finest sand possible, I got to see the sand box they cast it in. There wasn't much finishing that had to be done.

If it is in business and you want to set it up, I'll meet you over there with the tillerhead. I'll bring the complete fitting.
    You would bring the rudderhead to see if they are indeed the same..
    Last edited by ebb; 05-15-2008 at 10:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread