+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander #65 "Lucky Dawg"

Hybrid View

The fickle finger of fate is pointing to an whole bunch of acne.
    Could it be a wrong mix of bottom paints?
    There's a lot of activity around a waterline if it was starboard to the sun in the marina?
    Cleaning it might have pulled paint off?

Needs a bottom job. You can't have EVERYTHING.

head's up

Great boat, Kyle. The rubrails on the coamings rock as does everything else. I have three questions:
    [*]Looks like the original tiller?[*]Would love to know the make and model of the portable head that fits so well in that spot.[*]Are the seacocks gone and, if not, were the thru hulls plugged or what?

Scott

Looks like my Ariel has the same portable head as well. (Sanpottie?) Could they be original??

I like that panel in front of Lucky Dawg's potty too...
    Attached Images  
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Randy the service manager at Torresen popped and scraped a couple spots and had no blister worries - no fluid or stink emitted. I didn't lead him at all, just asked "what's the problem and what's the resolution?" He suggested sanding down those areas, repainting and checking again in the fall at haulout. He couldn't see my relieved grin over the phone but I let him know that he was the "Good News Man" of the day. I'm consulting Don Casey for the best approach.

I will take a couple detail pix today per some of your questions above. I am curious about how (if) the genoa track has backing or if it just attached to the toe rail.

Scott, funny you should ask, but I am such a newbie that I'm not embarassed to say... I was reading BoatWorks mag last night and an article about seacocks and the thought occurred, "Uh, does this boat have seacocks???" (I probably had a head-cocked-sideways look on my face like a confused dog...) Haven't the foggiest idea where, but on the advice of the author -"Know where your seacocks are and be able to find them and assure closure in the dark and possibly with your hands underwater."

Good thoughts to occur *b e f o r e* splashing! I think I read of Geoff having that realization at one point, but it didn't click upon reading that time.

Will be addressing my dearth of knowledge bits at a time over a long while... I appreciate your collective patience with this process.

More thru-hulls to check

Congratulations on your new Commander. If you think you're enthusiastic now, wait until you get to know her. Great boat.

Now that you're thinking about the plumbing, its a good time to check the condition of the 2 cockpit drain hoses, each of which connects a cockpit drain near the companionway to a thru hull below. Check the hose clamps too. Most Commanders do not have seacocks installed on these thru-hulls, so if an old hose or hose clamp breaks, you could be in for a long swim.

Seacocks installed on these thru-hulls might provide safety in the event of a break in the hose, but most would be left open while the boat is moored unattended, or while underway to drain the cockpit as intended.

What do others think about installing seacocks on these thru-hulls?
    MRH

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    What do others think about installing seacocks on these thru-hulls?
    There are discussions of seacocks in the tech forum. Please do a search on "seacocks" for the many sites. Might want to begin with one on the cockpit drains:

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...ead.php?t=1287

Scott, to the best of my knowledge, that is a new oak tiller and newly fabricated tiller head. I took a picture of the head - Sealand model 960. Same as Mike's. See below.
    One seacock onboard below the sink. Port and starboard cockpit drains are identical clamped (painted) rubber hoses - see below.
    There is an unidentified (by me) drain in the bilge which I assume would accomodate a bilge pump. No pump - except a manual one - onboard so far. That seems like a must-do.
    I want to bring a bucket to the yard next visit and with a spotter below, pour some water through the two scuppers and two cockpit drains.
    Can anyone identify the fitting in the last two pictures? It is on Stbd a couple feet from the bow. Interior fitting leads to the chromed exterior fitting (sorry it is blurry)
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 02-08-2008 at 07:48 AM.

+ Reply to Thread