+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Inboard Issues

Hybrid View

Yikes! Mike, thanks for digging it up. Would this coupler add to the length of the shaft and necessitate shortening my $$ brand new $$ shaft? Frankly, it sounds nice, but I'm thinking I should probably have a local yard take a look at the alignment and see if it is even an issue, and spend my dwindling boat funds on necessities right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bill@ariel231
    Mike do you know the pitch of your current prop (and maybe the transmission ratio or type?)
    Prop: 13x11
    Transmission ratio: 2.62

I was able to borrow a prop puller, and the whole process was anti-climactic really. It just kind of came loose once I had tightened the nut down. After I cleaned off some of the bottom paint on the prop, I could read the above stamp.

Curious thing: after entering my data into a couple of prop calculators, they came back with a LARGER prop recommendation! Also, a very helpful guy at Michigan Wheel said that this prop is about the theoretical size for my given parameters.

The only thing I can think is the tachometer is malfunctioning. Is it possible to have a "wrong" tachometer that doesn't read the RPMs correctly?

Could it be something else? Am I missing something?
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

You want to reach hull speed @80% of max rpm {1065.6rpm shaft}( for many reasons) and you want the boat to advance at the same rate as the prop .
    So with a 13x11 prop at 1065.6 shaft rpms you are trying to push the boat at 11.1mph ( twice as fast as it should be ).

With a 13x11 prop turning at 1332 rpms (shaft) , you would be doing close to 15 mph or 14 knots + or - OR in order for you engine to max @ 3600 rpm with a reduction of 2.62 giving a shaft speed of 1332 rpms the boat would have to be going 14 to 15 mph .

I would say you need a 13x6 or 12x6 or 10x7 . You have too much diameter and too much pitch for 13.? HP which you only reach at 3600rpm , at 2100 it is much less. Your peak torque curve is near 2880 rpms ( engine ) and a 13x6 would put you in that ballpark .

Too much diameter is hard to turn over and too much pitch is just as bad.
    I bet your rpm's drop radically when you put her in gear at idle , almost to a stall .

Will your tach read above 2100rpm when not in gear?

This is a 2 blade prop , right?

When you talk with anyone , make sure they understand it is 5000lbs you are trying to push to no more than 6 knots .

If your prop is too big and there is not enough 'tip' clearence , you will get vibration as the prop passes the hull . You need aprox. 18% dia. in clearence, 20% is better, so your tip should not come within 2.5" of the hull .

It is a big ballancing act to get the prop right .

It's a Yanmar 2GM. 13HP, 3400 RPM, and 15HP at 3600 RPM max.

I also have a three bladed prop. (See pictures)

"Will your tach read above 2100rpm when not in gear?"

This is the million dollar question for which I am ashamed to admit, I have no answer.

I didn't realize I was in trouble until after the season and I was reading the manual while winterizing the engine. I'm pretty sure it does - at least the engine revs pretty good when in neutral. I just never looked at the tachometer while doing it.
    Attached Images    
    Mike

Say no more, I solved the problem

You have one blade too many on that prop . No way you can turn a 13x11- 3 blade with 13 hp unless it was in a 400lb skiff . At 2100 rpms your are not even getting 13hp. That is a huge prop for a small boat .

My figures were for a 2 blade 13x11 , that extra blade needs more hp to spin it.

It is probably a motor boat prop too , and has huge surface area .

Get a 12x6 sailor prop (2 blade ) and you will be happy for the rest of your life .
    You will sail faster too (less drag )
    1216 shaft rpms should give you 6+or- knots with a 12x6 ( 6" pitch ) prop , so if you throttle back a little 5.5 knots is easy .
    You know you can have props re-pitched , so get a 2 blade that is close and try it and if it is not exact either pitch it up or down until you can get 5.5knots at 2800 rpms .
    There are a lot of other factors involved , but this gets you in the ball park .
    I have re-proped dozens of boats , half were right on the 1st try and the others took one more pitch change to get close enough . planing motorboats are a lot harder to get right .

Coupling

BTW , the Vetus coupling doesn't add any length to the drive train .

Mike, thanks as always!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin
    BTW , the Vetus coupling doesn't add any length to the drive train .
    I'll get back to you in the spring on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin
    At 2100 rpms your are not even getting 13hp. That is a huge prop for a small boat.
    This is where I started. My local boatyard said the same thing and I was planning on downsizing until I ran the figures through the prop calculators.

I suppose one route to go, after rewiring the tachometer, is to find a smaller cheap prop somewhere and see how that does next season. I'd hate to muck it up so bad that it'd force a haulout to replace the prop - the season is short enough as it is.

Thanks again.
    Mike

BTW, I'd really like to hear from other Ariel/Commander/Triton inboard owners what their setups are. (Engine HP/RPM, transmission ratio, prop size/pitch)

Any info appreciated!
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread