+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A-231 Periwinkle

Hybrid View

off to the boat yard....
    Attached Images  

Ok that was a couple of years back what has happened since? new sails (very happy with a set from www.cruisingdirect.com), new standing rigging, a furler (Schaefer 750). a repaint and the removal of the outboard well...

Here's what Periwinkle looks like today:
    Attached Images  

lets start the tour in the cockpit..

While I don't mind doing varnish, I prefer to make it last a couple of years. Hence everything that is varnished gets a cover....
    Attached Images      
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 12-04-2005 at 04:49 PM.

Thumbs up

Beautiful !! What took you so long to find this site? You are sure to enjoy the 'company' here and obviously have much to contribute as well.thanks for sharing.

I'm just guessing someone's going to ask about the handle atop the companionway. I made it to solve a couple of issues. The original wasn't very easy to open with cold hands and I wanted a drip edge at that location as one more way to keep the cabin dry in the rain (with the hatchboards out).

Below are two images. A closer view and a profile.
    Attached Images    

The traveler & mainsheet system is built up from Garhauer blocks bolted to an old Fico traveler I collected as separate parts from a couple of local marine consignment shops. Just like everything else, it gets a cover too....
    Attached Images    

Thats enough topside for now, lets go below decks....

The companionway steps are a change from normal. When I loaded in the westerbeke, I needed to make a bit more room. As a result I ended up with these steps (I'm told they came from a Dehler??, maybe, the style looks right but I've not seen one with just two steps below).

One other change was to move the galley sink outboard... my advice.. if you move the sink off the centerline, do not plumb the sink to a seacock. I found the sink below the waterline when I got knocked down on a starboard tack. As a result, the sink now drains into a sump/pump system, and I don't worry about taking the boat offshore.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 12-05-2005 at 11:38 AM.

on the port side of the companionway is the usual fuse block and just for the fun of designing a rotating/sliding mount using a bit of teak, a stainless steel spring and a harken recirculating-ball track&car is an old chart plotter a friend donated.
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 12-04-2005 at 05:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread